• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 axle tags

willysnut

NAXJA Forum User
Recently purchased XJ.
I have a 8.25 axle and was wondering if it has L/slip. It has two tags on the L/h side of the cover, being an old skool jeeper this would mean it has a L/S. Short of pulling the cover or jacking the vehicle can anybody tell me what's the significance of the two tags. I know the axle ratio is on one tag. Any help out there- oh ya it's under a '93 Xj.:confused

I don't know about a '93 but on my '98 the
cover has 2 tags. One says 35 and the other 0635 (I think) which means nothing to me. But, on a PAPER label wrapped around the axle, on the right side, between the brake backing plate and the leaf spring is printed the axle ratio (3.55) and the words Track-loc. I don't know how long that paper will hold up.

If I recall correctly my 95 had a metal tag on the diff that said limited slip. Also on mine is a silver colored sticker stuck to the inside of the glovebox that warns of limited slip when jacking up the wheels. Dunno if they did that in '93.

my 98 didn't have the tracloc sticker, no ls tag, and no paper on the diff.... but it did have it :D So I guess bite the bullet, jack it up and test it.

Kejtar

Back