• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc brake swap.

mack

NAXJA Forum User
Finshed my zj rear disc brake swap toady on my 8.25, this is pretty much a bolt in, just open the axle hole a bit, and bend up your hardlines, then bolt it all in, should have only been a few hours, but after 3 trips to the parts store, and lunch for my "helper", it was an all day thing.
tierod009.jpg

before.
tierod011.jpg

out with the old!
tierod012.jpg

after.
tierod013.jpg

BingBing tightening his only bolt....but thanks for...huh..hmmm..helping??
just kidding!
tierod015.jpg

all in all, i spent under $250 on this swap.
$65 for the calipers, backing plates, caliper brackets.
$40 for new rotors.
$18 for new pads.
$30 for soft lines.
$40+ for hardlines, fluid, bolts, ect..ect.
now, to get my NSS fixed so i can drive this...Grrr!!

Last edited:
pm me with the part numbers im dying to do that swap. and by the way where did you get your yukon axles? eh? looks good too

i wish i knew....it just keep's on fallin from the sky...:dunno:
Jump This said:
What the hell is that white 'foamy' looking stuff on the ground?
Rick R:sunshine:

mack said:
$65 for the calipers, backing plates, caliper brackets.

I don't see no backing plates....no e-brakes for you huh? I did the same swap myself, but I finagled some e-brakes...I paid $150 for brakes, $10 for pads, and $150 for an 8.25....did it all myself in about 12 hours. Not a fun day.

i have the backing plates, i just don't run an e-brake anyways, so i just didn't use then, it's wasn't that bad of a swap, after one side was done, the other went together alot faster.

looks good Jeff! i just spent close to $300 to do new brakes on the D44. :gonnablow wish i had time to look into a disc swap beforehand.

Thank, i've been looking for awhile till i came across a good deal.

it was about 10.35am on saturday, came out to a nice sunny day, with a coffee in hand, i hop into my jeep, turn the key......huh....nothin...ok, this happends all the time, i'll just put it in neutral and start it....huh...click...huh, i knew this day would come, my NSS took a $hit!
so....thats what happend to me on saturday.
i still have a no start.....got a NSS??
robz95xj said:
Nice job Mack. BTW where were ya Saturday?

Looks good! I told you it would be an easy swap. Sorry to hear about your NSS. I just redid the one in my daily driver. It wasn't too bad either....just a little time consuming. Make sure you have a good set of zip tie cutters. ;)

Good time, a little cold, looks really good. Now i gotta do it on my 8.25 before a throw it under the XJ. Hey at least your rig stayed on the stands this time. Boy that never gets old. :laugh3:

the backing plates are what holds the E-brake shoes and hardware.

i took the o-ring and spring out of the stock one, i read that is almost the same as the zj valve, it seems to work ok.

Heya Mack!

I had the same problem with NSS- do the "search" thingie, but the bottom line is pulling the thing off, and cleaning up the little basta*d. Use the search function, because there's a few little details I wish I had known BEFORE I did the job!

A little white lithium grease, and a clean pencil eraser is all you need.
If you live in the "salt states" up north, then I'd spooge some good-quality RTV of choice into the seams around the switch, and around the screw/bolt holes.

I DIDN'T use the search function, and managed to crack the plastic case in pulling this thing off- but the cracks were easily sealed with copious amounts of RTV, applied to the cracks... and I think it may seal things up for many more years of salty use! One of those "screws" is actually a "pin", and needs to be treated very carefully. N`e `ggrdpsive move, and`t'r "c"ack " tH`e. Cleh the faulty "pin" up with some gentle abrasive, and lube the daylights out of Hp when d-inserbng.

Nnp I have my reverse lig(ps back, and no funky starting issues.
Spooge away!

Back