• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just installed 3" lift.....

Newbiejeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fellas, I just installed a 3" lift in my 99 xj. I have skyjacker coils up front and aal in the rear with rancho 5000 shocks. After installation of coils and aal, front gave me 3" and rear gave me like 3.5" The front shocks were installed and ok. Now for the rear shocks I couldn't get them through the eye hole onto the post. That extra 1/2" made my shocks just a little to short. Now when i jacked up one side of the front I was able to get one rear on, then if I did the other front I could get the 2nd rear on. When I am driving the front is fine it rides good. The rear however is a different story. When I go over bumps, when the axle goes up then comes back down it make a loud "clunk"/"bang". Almost sounds like the piston is going to come out of the shock. Is this happening because the lift gave me 3.5" and the shocks are for 3" lift? Should I get shocks for 3-5" lift in the rear? Because it sounds bad. I am not sure what to do. Any opinions?? -David

These shocks weren't used were they? They may be over used, defective, or too small for the amount of lift you have.

If Im reading what you are saying, your shocks are fully extended while the Jeep is sitting flat on the ground, is this what you are saying?
If they are shocks for a 3" lift, they should not be anywhere close to all the way extended at 3.5" or even 4.5" or 5" of lift while sitting level on the ground. If this is the case, even if you did get them bolted up, you would have no droop in the rear suspension at all. Even the stock shocks should at least bolt up, they wouldnt have much down travel, but would have enough length to bolt up. If you shocks dont fit at all while sitting level, youve got the wrong shocks and are probably not even for an XJ.

Yes the shocks are fully extended while sitting level. Like I said the shocks were for 3" lift, but when I put the aal's on it really gave me 3.5 maybe just a tad more. I mounted the shock to the body and pulled it down. The post where you mount it to was about 1/2" away from the shock. The shocks are new and are for an xj 3" lift. I am guessing i'll have to wait for the aal's to settle a little or just get shocks for 4" lift just for the rear?? The front ones are fine.

Newbiejeepster said:
Yes the shocks are fully extended while sitting level. Like I said the shocks were for 3" lift, but when I put the aal's on it really gave me 3.5 maybe just a tad more. I mounted the shock to the body and pulled it down. The post where you mount it to was about 1/2" away from the shock. The shocks are new and are for an xj 3" lift. I am guessing i'll have to wait for the aal's to settle a little or just get shocks for 4" lift just for the rear?? The front ones are fine.

If thats the case, what you really need to do is get the part # from the shocks call Rancho to find out what vehicle those shocks are really for. If you search the internet, Ranchos part #s are probably listed someplace. If you cant find a part #, measure the collapsed and extended length and call them or compare with info that can be found on the internet concerning shock length.
Believe me when I say there is no way the proper XJ shocks should be fully extended while sitting level on the ground. You should have at least 3" of extension left while sitting level.

Back