• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ A/C Compressor Question

coreys

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ Laredo 4x4 with a A/C leak. I had the A/C recharged a couple of days ago and everything worked great, for about 12 hours. It was holding pressure and no leaks were noticed. I noticed oil misting out behind the compressor pully the next day when I started my engine and the compressor will not engauge. Do I need to replace the compressor or is there a rebuild kit I can get for it? Also, my Jeep's A/C was charged about a year ago and it sat in a garrage from then until about 2 months ago. Should I go ahead and replace the A/C O-ring and seals?

front compressor seal failure......one reason the compressor kicks in when you put it on defrost is to keep this seal lubed .....you should run it at least 10 minutes a month to keep it from drying out resulting in the condition you described

A/C compressors are rebuildable, but generally shouldn't be tackled unless you have a whole set of various pullers and adapters. you'd be better off getting a replacement.

Back