• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering shaft

mack

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know what the diff is between the steering shaft (from the firewall to the box) from say a 92 to a 98?

nobody knows??

mack said:
nobody knows??

I would venture a guess that they are the same, or very similar.

I have a Borgeson heavy duty steering shaft for my '96 XJ. Their website says this steering shaft will fit years '84 to '00. So I would guess the shaft only changed in '01.

http://www.borgeson.com/TruckProductJeep.htm

The shaft is BEEFY but I don't recommend getting in a head on collision with one installed.

i asked because the one on my 92 has ALOT of play up at some rubber part up by the firewall, i was able to get one from a 98 and the firewall end doesn't have any of that rubber crap, but it does look at lot better then the older one, i just didn't want to pull mine only to find this one won't fit.
thanks.

They are not designed the same, but I think they are interchangeable. However, I can't guarantee it, because I never actually tried one (yet). The steering box end should be the same at least. You should make sure they are really the same length (or close), and if possible, make sure that the column end at the top is the same diameter. I'm pretty sure it is, because I know that they did not change the design immediately when they went from Saginaw to Chrysler column in 95. I have an 89 shaft in my 95. If they're the same, a newer one has the advantage that you can telescope it without breaking anything, and that means you can install it without loosening the steering gear or the column.

well, they are not the same, the firewall end is splined on the newer shaft, the older one is almost square.

I just found the same thing....tried putting a 1999 shaft in my 1988 only to find the firewall end on the new shaft is splined and the older is not.

I wonder when the difference started?

Bender said:
I just found the same thing....tried putting a 1999 shaft in my 1988 only to find the firewall end on the new shaft is splined and the older is not.

I wonder when the difference started?

I'm guessing 97. I know it did not immediately follow on the change from Saginaw to Chrysler steering columns, because my 95 and my son's 96 still have the old style shaft, and my 95 definitely has the old style fitting at the top.

Matthew Currie said:
I'm guessing 97. I know it did not immediately follow on the change from Saginaw to Chrysler steering columns, because my 95 and my son's 96 still have the old style shaft, and my 95 definitely has the old style fitting at the top.

I might be needing one of these for my 96 once I do some investigating. Can someone please tell me what years will work for a 96? Also, is there anyway to visually tell which one is in it without removing it? Thanks!

Back