• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCU fuse location

badbowtie87

NAXJA Forum User
Ive searched some threads to find out the location of the TCU fuse and everyone says theyre under the pasenger side dash. Well I looked under the dash and didnt see anything so i pulled the lower part of the dash out for a better look but all i see is the TCU box and the plug connector. I traced the wires and they go towards the driver side and i still dont see the inline fuse. My cherokee is a 96 country, did they locate them somewhere else for that year?

I wasted an hour yesterday looking for the fuse in mine
My aw4 is starting out in 4th gear and figures I would check the fuse....well no find. I did see that I do have good voltage on the yellow wire but I got called into work before I could check into anything else. I am starting to suspect a bad TCU

How much is a new TCU? How much at a junkyard?

i found the fuse and its ok plus i checked for power at the TCU plug and it has power so im thinking the TCU could be bad. Im hoping i can find one cheap to try. I tried a new TPS and MAP sensor, neither made any difference. Its still starting out in 3rd or 4th gear. Can the TCU be checked?

badbowtie87 said:
i found the fuse and its ok plus i checked for power at the TCU plug and it has power so im thinking the TCU could be bad. Im hoping i can find one cheap to try. I tried a new TPS and MAP sensor, neither made any difference. Its still starting out in 3rd or 4th gear. Can the TCU be checked?
Sorry but your thread kinda got hijacked by 95XJ Country.
What problem are you having?

96 cherokee country 4.0 aw4 140K mileage. The problem is that when i put the trans in drive it is acting just like its in drive not in 1st like it should be and it slips if you try to take off in drive. But if you manually put it in 1st and shift it yourself it shifts fine with the exception that it only stays in 2nd gear for a split second before shifting to 3rd on its own. The converter also doesnt seem to lock on the highway. Iv heard of many things to try on here and I tried a new TPS, MAP sensor, Checked fuse for TCU and checked for power at the TCU plug and it does have power. So im guessing my problem is a bad TCU i hope and not the trans itself.

There is two (2) fuses for the TCU one powers the brain part of it and the second powers the outputs.
The fuses are F3 F6 F15 in the PDC also make sure your brake lights are working.

Last edited:
Back