• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Map Lights

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know how to change the bulbs for the overhead map lights (not the general interior light) for an '88 XJ? I can't seem to get at them....

Thanks in advance...

Take the cover off the dome light and remove the bulb. You will see 2 circular clips that hold the dome light in. CAREFULLY pry the clips off and the dome light will come loose. Once you get it loose you will see the 2 bulb holders for the map lights. I would be sure to change both bulbs even if only one is out, that way you won't have to do it again. Re-assemble in reverse order. Good Luck!

Thanks MrBill3...I will try that this weekend. I do appreciate the advice...especially since no one else chimed in (guess they all agreed with you, or they had nothing to add).

OR.....no one else knew the answer. I actually looked in the manual but it doesn't show anything. I wasn't about to take mine apart so I could tell you how.

-Tight lines

My map lights are in my rear view mirror and thats pretty self explainatory, no idea on the overhead console...

Thanks for everyone's help. MrBill actually had the correct answer...by taking off the clips that held the light fixture to the ceiling, the little map lights were accessible, and we replaced both. They work great now!

Thanks again for all the help NAXJA members!!!!!

SPVFD47 said:
I didn't know the 98XJ's came stock with map lights in the rear view mirror...

They didn't, I put a rear view mirror out of a ZJ that I got at the boneyard for $3....

Back