• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you remove a tire from a wheel

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ive got a 31'' BFG allterrain tire on my stock wheel and im trying to get it off the wheel. Is there any way to take it off myself or am i gonna have to take it to discount tire or somethin and have them do it(which ill probly have to pay for)? If i can do it myself, do yall know of links to sights that tell how to do it and what tools to use and all. Thanks. -Austin

Doubt you will be able to get the bead unseated from the rim edge. If it was unbeaded, then you could use a couple of pices of flat steel bar to "spoon" the tires off the rim. Best to take it to a tire shop and have them do it so you dont damage the tire or rim. . . . or yourself.

If you've never done it before you're going to hate the process...yes it can be done manually. Pull the valve stem, lay the tire in the grass and drive over the edge of the tire (not the rim) to break the tire away from the bead. Use a couple of tire tools (pry-bar thingies) to peel the tire out of the rim.

Or you can throw the tire/rim in the back of the Cherokee and pay the kid at Discount to do it for a couple bucks.

Thanks for the replys. I guess ill just bring em to discount tire... ive got the road hazzard waranty so maybe they will do the job for free. I jsut dont want to ruin the tires and im afraid i will if i do it myself. Thank you, -Austin

I just picked up some OEM steelies off a 98 for my 88
took them to Discount tire this afternoon to have them remove the rubber so I could clean them up and re-paint them...$10.00 mound and dismount fee and $2.50 for disposle...$50.00 for all four.

Take it and get it done, I've use irons on Hummers as changing a tire is 'driver maintenance'...4 hours in the field. The next flat I drew the new tire from maintenace and drove off post 10miles to watertown and paid the firestone store $20 to get it mounted and balanced...

1. Way overload vehicle.
2. Overinflate tires.
3. Hit bump at speed, tire flies off rim.

Well thats how it works with the hand dolly at work anyways...:p

hopefully you dont think im serious...

I advise that you just take it in.

I do my own tires frequently, but it does require some equipment, and it's strenuous.

First, you need a bead breaker. You cannot get the bead off without a tool that's designed for the purpose, and if you try something else you can damage the sidewall. In a pinch, you might be able to place the wheel under a vehicle, and use a jack to pop the bead, but it would be trickly.

Once the bead is broken, you need two good tire irons and a small hand sledge.

Lay the wheel flat, kneel on the tire so that the bead is pushed into the drop center of the wheel at one side, and then start prying it up and off 180 degrees from where you have pressed it down. After the first foot or so of bead is off, it's easy.

Now, stand the wheel up, take a tire iron, and using it as a lever, start, at the top, prying the other tire bead off the same rim edge you pried the first bead off of. Put the lever in and push it as far over the top of the tire as you can. The tire will be distorted, and there will be a little of the bead off the rim. Now you can remove the rest of the bead with the hammer.

Voila, the tire drops to the ground undamaged. The mechanic drops to the ground nearby.

Do not attempt if you have a bad back.

Back