• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you get a tire off a wheel?

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ive got a 31'' BFG allterrain tire on my stock wheel and im trying to get it off the wheel. Is there any way to take it off myself or am i gonna have to take it to discount tire or somethin and have them do it(which ill probly have to pay for)? If i can do it myself, do yall know of links to sights that tell how to do it and what tools to use and all. Thanks. -Austin

y r u taking it off anyway? youd have to let all the air outa the tire and literaly push down on the sidewall right at the rim to break the seal...if i were you id just take it somewere they have a machine that will do it in 2 seconds which it would prolly take you and hour to do and it wouldnt really cost much. so my advice would just be to take it to like a small mechanic shop not take it to discount tire they might not do it and may chagre a lil more. just go to a small mechanic shop they will take care of u

discount tire, $5.

Wal-Mart is pretty cheap but, learning to dismount a tire could help you out if you ever find yourself in a predicament offroad. You can break the bead with a high lift jack (tire on it's side with the jack base on the sidewall) or letting all the air out and turning the steering wheel (obviously mounted on the front and not moving) will sometimes work too, then just use two big screwdrivers as levers (ever fix a bicycle tire?) I've done it several times this way to patch a tire out on the trail. Oh, yeah WD40 works good as a lubricant for remounting..........Hans

To actually answer the question.

I've broken the bead on a tire by removing the stem, and driving up onto the tire right by the wheel, pushing it the bead down and out. Rotate, repeat. Flip. Repeat. Remove from wheel carefully with a crowbar.

It's not really worth the effort, go pay to have it dismounted .. but you can do it.

-C

I know this guy (who is not too sharp) that threw a tire and rim on a bon fire so he could get the tire off. It was an old style american racing rim. The fire was so hot that when all was said and done all that was left was the outer part of the wheel. The center of the mag was totaly melted. I just thought I had to tell this amusing little story. Take it somewhere and let them take it off for you.

Driving up will work, or another thing that I've done (that I feel gives a little more control) is hook my hi-lift under a point on the Jeep and place the base on the sidewall...and slowly jack up. That way I can be sure I'm not bending a rim and not putting more than the necessary amount of weight on.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542
34542.gif

I have done all sizes of tires up to 33x12.5" TSLs with this tool.
I've used it probably around 20 times so far and it still works.
It's small enough to haul to the trail in your Jeep too.
It takes around 20 minutes to unmount & mount a new tire after practice.

I swear I just answered this a few days ago...? Driving over the tire will break the bead, but after futzing around for awhile with it you'll realize it's FAR easier to just take it to the local tire store for $5 or a six-pack..whichever they'll work for.

Wow all the way from $1K mega big tech tire changer to a $50 and under changer. I need to mount and unmount a 37x12.50x15" MTR from a beadlock rims. I don't think this thing will work, but it's worth a shot. What do you guys think? Les Schwab broke my inner bead, but wouldn't seperate the tire from the beadlock rim. I didn't think this was a big deal at the time, but I tried for awhile using some big torque bars, but couldn't seperate the tire from the rim. I think I'll have an easier time mounting the tire and rim then getting the rim out of the tire. I tried the soapy water trick as well and a hi lift with no luck. Maybe a mom and pop shop will unrim a beadlock rim.

Based on what I'm reading about the $50 tire changer from Harbor Freight, it doesn't matter what size tire it is, just the rim size. I have 15x8" rims so it should work.

Troy

Last edited:
Just use your hi-lift jack. Press it directly next to the rim and jack it up. It will easily press the tire off the bead.

To reinstall, you need some round-edged tools -- commonly called tire spoons. You can make a couple out of steel bar stock if you are really broke. Some guys also use big screwdrivers, but I've found that they are not all that useful. Crow bars are better...

I make my own tire lube in a pinch with a cup of anti-freeze, some dish soap (couple long squirts), and about an equal part of water. Shake well in a jug. Works just like the store-bought stuff. Makes the task of getting the tire on and off much easier.

Back