• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock right and snow

SourApple

NAXJA Forum User
hey anyone have a lock right in their dana 30 and have to run 4wd on the roads in the snow... my question is how does it perform, becasue it is my understanding with both tires getting the power they can actually "throw" the vehicle off the road... thanks

well if ur runnin automatic lockers front and rear in 4wheel drive and you turn while driving on the road your front tires will pull were their pointed and the rear will try and go straight forward causing some prob's. either go arb or ox up front so you can toggle them on/off or dont drive in 4x4 on road.

do not lock your front end on a DD. they will not pull where they are pointed , they will try to plow straight ahead even if you are turned full lock. The rear is just something you get used to , and you don't let other people drive it in wet conditions. If you are in 4WD and the front end is running open , you won't be kicked sideways unless you are heavy on the pedal

I'm running that setup and it's only a problem at higher speeds and when the axle is under torque application. It's not nearly as big a deal when you're going slower (under 30) and you left off the gas some before turning. Granted we don't live in snow all winter like some but when we get it I'm not hesitant to take my rig out.

Rufio said:
well if ur runnin automatic lockers front and rear in 4wheel drive and you turn while driving on the road your front tires will pull were their pointed and the rear will try and go straight forward causing some prob's.
What he said. I’m running Lock Rights front and rear. The Jeep has a tendency to try to go straight no matter where the wheels are pointed. As a side note, I just leave it in 2 WD unless it gets REALLY bad.

so then how does the lock right in the front act when you are on pavement and you are not in 4wd... its as if it werent even there except for the clicking right?

The front locker does add a little drag and has a slight tendency to make it pull to one side. It’s not bad at all and if you hadn’t driven the Jeep before you probably wouldn’t notice it. If you have one of the older style vacuum disconnect axles it will make absolutely no difference in 2 WD. BTW mine doesn’t click in 2 WD or maybe it does, but I can’t hear it. Occasionally it will pop when I’m backing up out of a parking spot. It doesn’t hurt anything, but it scares the crap out of anyone standing around. They think you just shelled out an axle.

SourApple said:
have you ever experianced your lock right in the snow on pavement?
Frequently. My XJ is a daily driver. I live in Anchorage, Alaska and the roads have snow or ice on them from mid October to early April. This is my first winter with front and rear lockers, but I got them in before the first snow fall. What did you want to know?

first... thanks for putting up with me..

you know when you are in 4 wheel drive.. and you are in slick conditions with open differentials or whatever and you spin them.. the front tire that isnt getting the power hold the jeep from fish tailing (in the front) left to right. but if it were locked in the front and you were driving carefuly now would the locker make the driving more dangerous than it already is.. thanks

It’s no more or less dangerous, just different. The tires spin a lot less, but when they do break loose you tend to slide towards one side or the other. Pure snow/ice or pure dry pavement is fine. When you get the icy patches with dry spots it gets interesting. If your tires start spinning on the icy patch and then you hit a dry spot (say, on the drivers side) it will shoot the Jeep to one side. The trick is to ease off of the throttle and go nice and smooth. That is pretty much for all driving with a locker. Don’t hammer the gas or the brakes, it will cause the locker to engage harshly and give you squirrelly driving characteristics. Try to be as smooth as you can with the gas and brakes.

Wiley Coyote said:
It’s no more or less dangerous, just different. The tires spin a lot less, but when they do break loose you tend to slide towards one side or the other. Pure snow/ice or pure dry pavement is fine. When you get the icy patches with dry spots it gets interesting. If your tires start spinning on the icy patch and then you hit a dry spot (say, on the drivers side) it will shoot the Jeep to one side. The trick is to ease off of the throttle and go nice and smooth. That is pretty much for all driving with a locker. Don’t hammer the gas or the brakes, it will cause the locker to engage harshly and give you squirrelly driving characteristics. Try to be as smooth as you can with the gas and brakes.
X2. It just takes a little getting used to. JIM.

Back