• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New shackle installation

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any tricks to replacing a shackle? I have plenty of instructions, but never replaced them before, so if anyone has any tricks let me know. It's going on an '89 XJ and it's a 1.5 inch lift shackle....

Yea.. have a sawzall ready with a bi-metal plade. Getting that top bolt out can be a beyatch. Have the PB ready as the upper nut is welded in and tough to get at should the bolt break.

I had to cut holes in my rear deck to access the weld nut, pop it out and use nylock nuts in place of the old ones. A total PITA...

Do you really need to unbolt the shocks and ubolts and everything like my instructions say? that seems a little overboard...i'd think taking off the tires, getting the rear on jack stands, jacking the axle up and unbolting the shackles is all it should take?

Start spraying the bolts with WD40, or PB Blaster a couple days ahead of time. Makes things alot easier:)

If you have any trouble getting the top bolt back in you can set the bottle jack(the one that came under the rear seat) on top of the leaf pack and use ift to push up on the "frame" to make it easier to line the top bolt holes up.

did mine this afternoon. took about 1 1/2 hours for the whole job. loosened the spring end, then removed the top (body end)bolt. pulled down on the spring and the shackle drops out of the pocket. I didn't unbolt anything from the axle.

Back