• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Chirp

blk01

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought an 01 with a 4.0L and an automatic. After 1 week of ownership, I noticed a "chirp" when the engine is shut-off. No noises while running, the sound only occurs as the engine is turned off. Took it to a mechanic and they checked and eliminated the following possible causes. Loose exhaust pipe, serpentine belt and accesories (ran the engine with no belt - noise still occured on shut-off), harmonic balancer, distributor shaft, flex plate and bolts, transmission (ran the engine w/o trans attached - still had "chirp" on shut down). At this point they think it is an internal engine problem. Anything we missed?

They didn't really "un-attach" the trans. did they? Meaning...un bolt it? I don't know that I'd worry about it. Then again, I have a chirps, squeeks, grinds, rattles. I sound like a Meineke commercial going down the road.

Back