• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum body panels...looking for REAL info

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
I need to figure out what folks are using for thier aluminum body panels and an idea of the range of gauge.....

I'm wondering if there's one specific material type that's tried and true?

was looking at 5052......

this is going across the lower portion of the door openings on formed steel tubular ribs....the aluminum will be rolled with a slight 'cup' to give it strength for side-impact resistance.....

Let's get this back on track.

Why 5052? Is it easily accessible?

I'd go for a 6000 series Al if you can get it cheap enough, although it's probably overkill.

Something in the 2000 series would be tight also, and cheaper.

Flowers

Back here they use 5052-H34 to build jet boats. I thought the 6000 stuff was too brittle, but I'm not an aluminum expert.

I do know that I've pegged rocks a few inches under the water (my boat need about 6" to run in) at 20 mph and it just left a few scratches. No cracks or big dents in the boat, but my passenger, that's a different story.

Hmm, maybe that's why he won't go fishing anymore.

Later,
Lincoln

What's with all the drama....someone get sand in their panties???

Carroll Smith:
2xxx - require heat treatment and aging to reach optimum propeties. Mechanical properties can rival or exceed low alloy steel in heat treated condition.

5xxx - Very good welding characteristics and are reasonable formable. tensile values while moderate are the highest of the non heat treatable alloys.

6xxx - Stregth level less then 2xxx or 7xxx series these alloys are very formable and have excellent weldablilty. All require heat treating and aging to reach optimum strength.

7xxx - Formablilty is very poor and are only weldable by spot welding. Very high stregth but little ductility.

hmmmm. I've never heard of 6000 having less strength than 2000. Actually, I thought (that's what I get) they added 6 and 7 to the 2 to make it stronger.

Just use sheet metal!

2000 series and 7000 series aluminum are unweldable. 5000 's are soft. I have no experiance with aluminum body armor ,however as 6061 T6 aluminum is the stongest.

this is what I'm talking about....

all my tech books say that 6000 series is LESS strong than 2000 or 7000 series....2024 is supposedly the most widely used aircraft alloy. WE'RE TALKIN SHEETS HERE......not tube.

5000 series has a higher magnesium content, which results in its moderate to high strength rating depending on its manufactured hardness, for example, 5052-h32 (quarter hard) and 5052-h34 (half hard)

based on quick research, 5052 seems to be the best choice, gotta get some price quotes to see if h-34 is more expensive....

I think I'll go with .062 which I think will be adequate for a skin. If I cold-form it on the plate roll like I plan to, the "cup" in the length of material should resist impact much better.

Your talking about 2- 3sq. ft. pieces of body panel. How much weight are you going to save using Al over sheet metal? 4-6 oz.

You need to stop reading POR.

a comparison between 6101-t6 and 5052-h36

tensile strength.........................6101(32.0) 5052(40.0)
yield strength....................................(28.0)..........(35.0)
elongation percent(.062)...................(15)..............(7)
brinell hardness.................................(73)..............(71)

source: Central Steel and Wire Company tech manual 1990

I have yet to make a cost comparison of these two alloys which would be interesting.....

well flowers, you need to do more research before you charge me with reading too much POR....

.062 5052 weighs .88 lbs. per sq foot
.062 CRS weight 2.5lbs per sq foot

I have 19 sq feet of metal total

that's 47 pounds worth of steel
and 16 lbs worth of aluminum

it all adds up

Damn! I had no idea. Maybe I should stop reading POR and just call you 4X a day with questions. Thanks for taking up your personal time and doing the research for me B.

19 sq ft.? I thought you were just covering the lower half of the door openings.

Beezil said:
a comparison between 6101-t6 and 5052-h36

tensile strength.........................6101(32.0) 5052(40.0)
yield strength....................................(28.0)..........(35.0)
elongation percent(.062)...................(15)..............(7)
brinell hardness.................................(73)..............(71)

source: Central Steel and Wire Company tech manual 1990

I have yet to make a cost comparison of these two alloys which would be interesting.....

Lemme see if I understand this: You're worrying about tensile and yield strength for a door skin that will never be exposed to tension until you slide sideways into a rock, in which case you're going to exceed the tensile strength rating of any known alloy of aluminum, steel, or other exotic metal. Does that about sum it up?

Just head over to Lowe's and buy a sheet of whatever they have in the rack.

Back