• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing/axle questions

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
i tried searching, didnt find much and another thread isnt gonna kill anyone

ive got 29 sp 8.25 in back and d30 upfront, 5 speed manual 97 sport

im going to 6" from 4" and im gonna run 35's and plan to gear to 4.56. Im confident the 8.25 will be ok but i dont know about the d30. I have a friend whose offering me a D44 4.56, trac lock lsds and yukon axle shafts. I think its 6 or 8 lug. My questions are weather i should go with the d44 which i would probably get a decient price on, or gto with the d30. He is also offering me a 9.25 4.56 gearing and i think lsds. Im not sure what i should do here. Also, are the lug conversions worth anything, becasue id rather not run 6 lugs infront and 5 lugs inback but the price is right. ideas??

thanks

If intrested in keeping things simple you could consider a superior super 30 upgrade. This bolt in upgrade has proven very solid for most wheeling situations and with a selectable locker you have the best of both worlds. Just my opinion. I run the Super 44 in the rear and the super 30/ARb in a 30 with 4.88 gears and 35 MT tires and run the east cost trails.

If your buddy is offering you the Dana 44 and the 9.25, I’d bet they are out of the same vehicle. I’m guessing a mid ‘80s Dodge truck (pretty common set up) and they would both have the same bolt pattern; 5 on 5.5” full width. If that Dana 44 really is a 6 bolt pattern double check to make sure that its not a Chevy 10 bolt (they look very similar). There is nothing wrong with your 8.25 or Dana 30, but if it was my Jeep I’d prefer the Dana 44 and 9.25.

Full width axles look cool on an XJ!:D If you want to keep your Jeep rims, this place has good prices on adapters http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_5_5_To_5_Lug_4_5_p/5550-5450.htm
Honestly, I think I’d just get some steel rims from a junk yard. I bet you could get a set of 5 plain steel rims for less than $200 and you wouldn’t have to fool with adapters. Does the Dana 44 have manual or auto hubs? If it has the auto hubs, spend the $100 and get a set of Warn manual ones.

I wouldn’t be overjoyed about the track lock in the front Dana 44. If it’s been rebuilt recently it should give you some traction, if it’s worn out it’ll be the same as an open diff. I’d run it the way it is until you decide to put in a Detroit, ARB, OX, etc. It won’t hurt anything being in there, but I certainly wouldn’t give him any extra money for the axle because it has a “posi” in it.

Back