• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

297 vs 760 u-joint

MR. XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i will like to know if is better to put 760 u-joint on my stock axel or just live
the 297 u-joint on the dana 30.

thanks

J.G.

760 is a newer stronger version of the 297.

You probably won't find anyone selling the 297 anymore.

cracker said:
760 is a newer stronger version of the 297.

You probably won't find anyone selling the 297 anymore.

What he said. The 297 was a hot forged joint. The 760 is a cold forged joint with better seals, which coincidentally came out around the same time as the Rubicon was released.

-Mike

The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, which has a Dana/Spicer front axle.

On a side note, is it normal to break 297 U-joints with 30 inch tires? :sad1:

Oh, and does anyone yank their 760's from 10 Bolt axles? Is there anything I should know?

NXJ said:

Not really on 30s but if the c-clip pops out and/or the U-joint is dry and/or you were bound on something with the wheels turned pretty hard, they WILL break.

NXJ said:
Oh, and does anyone yank their 760's from 10 Bolt axles? Is there anything I should know?

Just go to an auto parts store and ask for Spicer 5-760 u-joints.

Last edited:
NXJ said:

If one wheels hard, I'd expect a broken u-joint every now and then... even with smaller tires. Often it's the cap working loose and spitting out...which goes bad quick.

The "760" refers to Spicer's part number: 5-760x I believe. It is the "new & improved" replacement of the old 5-297x joint. I am thinking "10-bolt" is your name for the Dana-Spicer Model 30? (the XJ/TJ axle) If so look for ones with 30mm +- caps These are the 297/760 sized ones, found on the TJ and later model XJs with ABS. The 95ish YJ with ABS has the vacuum-disconnect outer axle with the bigger cap yokes.

It's worth the time to clearance the inner sides of the yokes to allow full - circle clips to retain the caps.

<edit> NXJ is from NorWay...

Actually, I was refering to the Corporate 10 Bolt, found in many GM trucks. Aren't there supposed to have the 5-760x U-joints in them also?

IIRC, the 5-760x u. joint was originally intended for the D44. When I've searched for them, that's usually how I find them listed.

Back