• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ditch the ProComp?

I'm rebuilding a recently acquired 89 XJ that has a 3-1/2" ProComp front lift with addtional 1" spacer and 4-1/2 Rubicon Express riear spring setup.

The handling on this beast is pretty squirrely on the 32" tires it has. Part of that appears to be a bad steering box, but I suspect the 1" spacers are throwing off the camber. As well, the front wheels seem to be too far back.

What's the verdict? I've pretty much decided I should get fresh RE Upper (adjustable) and lower control arms along with correct springs.

Can I keep the ProComp track bar? It seems to be in good shape.

Anything else I need?

Don't want to spend any more than I have top, but since the engine is out, now seems to be the time to address.

The pro comp trck bar mount bracket that raises the mounting point on the axle is suspect. They tend to wallow out the bolt hole and get really loose. I would check to see if that is causing some of your handling problems.

Nevada City Sparky said:
Ahhhh..... so, with this lift, did you ultimately ditch it? Sounds like I ought to consider a track bar as well.

I ran it for 5 or 6 years before I ditched it. Not much offroading during that period though. The major thing I noticed the most when I swapped it for an RE lift was how much softer the on-road ride was with the RE lift. It was like night and day!

ditch the pro comp stuff and buy new springs, LCA and UCA and track bar and bracket. I would go with all RE stuff and complete your lift. Just my two cents

Lifting the front will throw the alignment off. The lift rotates the top of the front axle forward. My little XJ wouldn't return to center after a turn. This makes the ride pretty squirrely itself. Adjustable lower control arms will definitely help.

Also, the stock LCAs were solid against the top of the axle brackets. That stopped any axle droop that I might have had.

Back