• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Post: A couple newbie questions about XJs...

typ3

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a total 4x4 newbie fresh in from the VW scene and I've decided that I want an XJ. A lot of the VW guys I was talking to have differing opinions as to which XJ setup to get and so on, so I thought I'd put it to the experts...

I want a good compromise between fuel economy and power. I will be doing some light towing (2 dirt bikes, small boat, stuff a Jetta could handle) and lots of back roads, jeep trails and stuff when hunting. I definately won't be doing any heavy rock-crawling in the near future.

So my question is:

-Is the 2.5L decent for off-roading and daily driving?
-Is the fuel economy difference between the 2.5L and the 4.0L when highway driving significant?
-What would towing be like with a 4-banger and larger tires?
-Should I go manual or automatic?
-What's a reasonable price (CDN) for a older Cherokee?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

If you plan to tow anything and put large tires on rule out the 2.5. I tow a 2500 lbs boat with a stock 4.0 and 5 speed and find the gearing from the factory a bit high

4.0 with an aw4 transmisison is all u need, get a 91 + xj

Agree , forget about the 2.5 , go for the 4.0. I would prefer the auto but the 5 speed would be find although not as common. I am not familier at all with prices in your area , no help there sorry

typ3 said:
-Is the 2.5L decent for off-roading and daily driving?
-Is the fuel economy difference between the 2.5L and the 4.0L when highway driving significant?
-Should I go manual or automatic?
-What's a reasonable price (CDN) for a older Cherokee?

I would recommend the I-6 4.0L High Output motor. The 2.5L gets about 1.5 - 2 mpg better on the highway ... not much difference. I get about 23 mpg highway on my stock '91 jeep with a freshly remanufactured 4.0. If you put larger tires on, you'll get worse mileage.

I would recommend a manual 5-spd tranny ... the AX15. Its a very solid tranny that regularly lasts 250K miles or more. But I just prefer manual over automatic. Gas mileage is a little better on manuals.

I would NOT recommend a '91. It is a transition year, with some features from previous years, some from future years. Best to get a '92 - '96. I learned that after I bought my '91.

I paid $800 US for mine, but I put in a new motor and various other goodies afterwards.

Good luck, and welcome to the club!!

And BTW: My first car was a '67 red VW beatle when I was 16. First year with 12V, last year with old bumper. That was my "learning vehicle." After that, I drove a '70 VW pop-top camper all over Alaska, Canada, Continental US, and Mexico.

Back