• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small XJ lift

mbiker72

NAXJA Forum User
Kinda of a noob here so bear with me. I have a bone stock 98 XJ, im looking for a little more aggresive stance. I want to lift about 2 inches, just to give the tires more clearance and make the truck look level. I was thinking about 2 inch coil spacers in the front, and either blocks, or shackles in the rear. im on a budget here. What is suggested. Will I have to lengthen brake lines and will i have to dick around with steering compoents?

mbiker72 said:
im on a budget here.

Took the words right out of my mouth. There is a thing called a budget boost. Very cheap, gives around 2inch lift, and no you won't have to mess with steering components.

At that height you won't really need to upgrade anything to accomodate the lift. If your steering wheel goes off to the side, you can easily adjust your draglink to fix it. Takes about 2 minutes!

thanks, do i want extended shackles or the leaf blocks, ide like to keep the handling on road as safe as possible and ide rather not kill the ride qaulity either

mbiker72 said:
thanks, do i want extended shackles or the leaf blocks, ide like to keep the handling on road as safe as possible and ide rather not kill the ride qaulity either

If you have an option, definitely the shackles. Blocks can cause axle wrap if they're too high. Ride quality won't be changed at all since shackles just add onto your existing parts.

im not too sure about 2" but you maaay have to add pinion wedges under your leafs to correct your driveshaft angle. I could be wrong i dont know how much a 2" lift will effect that. If so, about 10$ for the wedges and its not very hard to put em in.

what kind of lift can i expect from the shackles. If at all possible, ide like the vehicle to look level, the front look a bit higher than the back at the moment. I was thinking possible 1.75" spacers in front and two inches in back, also, any opinion on 235/75-15 BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires? looking for a summer tire that looks rugged but wont destroy ride qaulity/gas mileage/off road capability

mbiker72 said:
what did the 30's do to your gas mileage? i upgraded to 235/75-15, but i was thinking of going bigger to 30x9.5

Personally, if I were you, I would do this:

$300-$450 3" lift
31" tires

With that setup you won't rub, your ride won't be comprimised, and 31's are generally a good starting point. Before you go too big, learn to wheel with what you have and practice practice practice.

i would do that in a heart beat but im rolling on a college budget and i do a lot, and i mean a lot of long distance commuting, i can put on about 900 miles a weekend, so im not looking for anything wild or expensive, just trying to get the look. i think two inches is as big as i want to go seeing as i dont go off road that often

Cheap 2" lift:
Add another stock XJ pack leaving out the bottom leaf from the additional pack, add an MJ shackle or Ful lsize Chevy truck shackle for another 1/2"
That'll put you at around 2.25" rear lift.
In the front you can add 1.75" poly spacers & ZJ V8 coils (I think different years/ratings are available to only net you 1/2 lift.)

Total costs:
used rear leaf packs from Junkyard or new ~$100 or less
used rear shackles ~$25
NEW u-bolts from quadratec w/ shims ~$25
1.75" coil spacers bought used online in for sale forum ~$25
ZJ coils (used?) ~$60
re-use your stock shocks & brake lines; just unbolt & straighten the front line from the wheel well $0

You can do this project in a weekend easily.
Lift will sag down to ~2" after a couple months.

I have the Teraflex BB1X 2" BB lift, and am very happy with it. The ride is stiffer, but it actually handles better now. It sits up just right, looks TONS better than stock, no death wobble or loose steering, just a tad bit of vibration at speeds over 75mph (which a tcase drop might fix). Overall, for $130 its a great kit, easy to install and 99% problem free. All I need now are bigger tires. Still $$$ broke.

2" Daystar BB, spacers & greaseable shackles, and 31x10.5x15's.
netted 1 3/4" lift with weak rear springs. $120.00 at (sorry) 4-wheel farts.
The tires rub a little at full turn on the lower c-arms and will grab the lower parts of the flairs on the rear.
The only vib I got was a bad u-joint that showed up after the BB was installed. Replaced it and no vibs.

Works GREAT on the street and for "light" wheeling.
If I know Iam gonna need the room for flex... I throw the 30's from the other XJ on it and all is fine. (no rubbing what-so-ever.) ;)
31's
100_2000.jpg

with the 30's
Picture43a.jpg

(infamous 1st switchback on Black Bear Pass, Co.)

Here's another look at the same spot......
Picture42T.jpg

Last edited:
Back