• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling prob again also wheel shake

Tony G

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I've replaced everthing that has to do with cooling. Rad,hoses,bottle and cap, fan clutch,t-stat and housing and I still get a little hotter than normal when it's about 65 to 75 outside.A few month ago I did overheat but nothing sense I replace the bottle. Could the t-stat be stuck from overheating ? Front wheel shake . Tires are balanced and I did have to replace my track bar.It only shakes when I hit 45 or 50 mph. Any tip ?

89 xj......

It might be possible that your head gasket has gone bad. And when I say that, I mean that the openings that purposely restrict water flow to allow the coolant to absorb as much heat as possible has now opened up more and the coolant is flowing through the engine too fast. therefore causing it to not absorb the heat that it needs to. hopefully i am wrong, but if you have changed everything cooling related, then it is possible thats what it is.

my front wheels are beginning to shake also. dont know the cause, but when i find out i will post it.

90red

Have you replaced your front shocks recently? I had a problem like that on a Buick and the dealer concluded after a week it was the front struts.

Try new shocks, you may then want to replace the engine mounts and transmission mount, they are prob shot.

Perhaps a bad cat ....but if you replaced all that and failed to replace your t-stat after you over heated or when you replaced all those parts then yes it could be that or like 90red said bad head gasket
crawl under your heep and knock on the cat (cold so as not to burn your hand) and if you hear stuff rattling around inside it is quite possible that the cat is clogged...

Remember that the old closed system needs pressure to keep from overheating. A pin hole any place in the system can cause it to overheat. Don't exclude the radiator or the heater core. A hole in either one is easy to miss. I would check everything outside the engine again before I changed the head gasket.

I hope when you changed the fluids you bled the system for any bubbles, especially if you have the closed system. Disconnect the two hoses from the thermostat housing and the top radiator hose. pour coolant directly into radiator until you can see it coming from those two hoses at the thermos housing. Reconnect and try again. Solved my problem couple weeks ago.

Back