• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Cleaning

Muddy89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
89 4.0 250k miles

I have searched on this and found most of the info i have needed but i still have a few questions about this topic.

While I have the head off to replace the head gasket, I was wanting to take the head all apart, have all the parts dipped then have the head decked. Is there anything else i should do while im in there? Also does anyone think there will be any problems if I use the old parts, and put them back in the same places, or should I replace them.

Some people said I would have to re-ring but I dont understand why if the compression will be the same, can someone explain this to me?

O and i dont know why i put this in mod tech FYI

Last edited:
If you have gone to the trouble to remove the head and have the money I'd pony up and do it right...have the head rebuilt and also do the lower end.

you didn't say how many miles were on your engine. . . if you do a head job, and have the valves and valve seats reground, you will accelerate the your bottom wearing out. This is because when you reseal the valves in the head, you put more stress on the pistons and the piston rings. I would suggest not doing a head job, unless you have a cracked or burnt valve. Otherwise, do a complete rebuild,

save the money and buy a reman engine for 1500 or so. run what ya got in the worst case you get a low mileage motor for 400 from a junk yard when yours goes.

Back