• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-geared axle in rear giving me all this weird activity

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
it has 20 miles on it
and i havnt driven it over 35 mph for more than 2 miles at a time

they are a Genuine set ring and pinion, and i also have a powertrax no-slip locker installed

whenever i coast they whine, and i get a consistant knocking sound from the rear when i coast, the speed of the knocks varying depending on the speed at which im coasting. they arent really loud knocks, and im under the impression the lockers will make noise during the break in, but its non stop when i coast in a straight line. Any input? The friend who did my gears has been doing them for awhile and has done many many other sets without issue on any, so i have to trust the installation

Whine...improper gear set-up or bearing probs. The knocking COULD be u-joint to yoke clearance, but that usually only shows up when the rig gets it's first lift...I'm thinking something aint right in the axle...jack er up...pull the wheels and drive shaft and turn the pinion yoke by hand...should be easy to turn and smooth with no tight spots or noise...if you have tight spots or noise, the axle is gonna have to come back apart...and genuine gear would be my last choice for gears.(my own personal opinion).

yeah unfortunatly when i ordered my ring and pinion i wasnt under the impression that it would be genuine gear, and at the time of me ordering them i didnt know better to stay away from them anyway

maybe you're axle isn't perpendicular to the direction of travel causing the locker to think its in a very slight turn? My gears whine all the time, even after thousand of miles, but only on the coast side.

What axle are we talking about(bet its an 8.25).

RCP Phx said:
What axle are we talking about(bet its an 8.25).

sorry forgot to say, its a D44 out of an 89 XJ

i was told its normal for the locker to make a constant knock as i coast forward but it doesnt make much sense to me and ive never heard of that before with a lunchbox in the rear, especially a no-slip

The nice thing about a lunchbox locker is its easy to pull out and slap the spiders back in to see if its the locker or gears making noise. Its going to be hard to diagnose it without doing that because a locker does make noises and does do some strange things sometimes.

My No-slip hardly ever makes any noise.Occasionally when really loaded up from the trail or street it will POP once when it disengages.
The noise you describe sounds like a loose pinion.

Last edited:
In a straight line on decel a locker's not doing anything but rolling with the carrier. I hate to say it but something is fubar in that axle, and it needs to come apart before things get expensive.

does your locker use a thrust washer within the carrier?

are you sure the thrust washers are in place?

Back