• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

biggest tires on 4.5 lift

if youre willing to trim, you can fit 35's pretty nicely, but if youre scared to embrace the sawzall (like me) you should prolly stick to the 32-33 inch range. I've got 32's on my RE4.5" and they rub pretty good at stuff, I need to figure out what I want to do.

goodburbon said:
a little thing called search. 33's will rub.
No they won't. Trim your fenders, do it right. 34x10.50s won't even rub on 15x8s. 33x12.50s on stock rims will rub the inner well on the back and rub the LCAs bad. Dont get 12.50s, get the 10.50s. Then you don't even have to buy wheels.

i have cut all the way around the front flare and to the pinch welds in the back, i'm going to fold the weld in. i just don't want to go any higher lift wise. i had a 8" skyjack on my last xxxj top heavy. r.i.p.

Last edited:
I have 6" with minor cutting and I still rub in the front at full lock & stuff. I have 33 x 12.5's on 15 x 8's with 4" b.s. I want to go to a narrower tire, but I hear 3-3.5" of b.s. works better with the 12.5's. I would recommend 33 x 10.5's for you! (If you go long-arm, get less backspacing...or your lugs will hit the arms at full lock).

Backspacing is very important when talking about rubbing. Running about 5 - 5.5" of lift and 3.75 inches of backspacing, my 33s didn't rub anything. 35s rubbed onthe lower control arms at full lock. Having the proper bumpstops helps. Yes, I trimmed and I beat down the "shark fin" found in the forward wheel wells. Don't recall the width, but I belive it was 10.5s or 12.5s- whichever was considered "standard"- not real wide, not narrow

Also, take a look and make sure it's not rubbing on the inner pinch seam in the front.
I used a BFH on it after I tore part of a lug off. Now with 4.5" (acutal 5.5") I can turn at full stuff with 33s and only minor (gentle) rubbing. The fenders are also trimmed quite a bit, and am using several hockey pucks for bumpstops. (works great)

I'm running 4.5 lift with major fender trimming to run the TJ flares, 2 hockey pucks per side with some gorilla glue. I am running currently 31x1050 with ALOT of room. This summer I am switching to the 34x1050 LTBs. Great tire for the terrain I run mostly, but if you run rock you might want to go with something else.

Let you know in a couple weeks, We're going to stuff a set of P315/75R-16's (35X12.50 equivilants) under shop rig #1 with 4" of lift. :) To be fair though it's had serious surgery to the wheel wells.

Bob

barillms said:
No they won't. Trim your fenders, do it right. 34x10.50s won't even rub on 15x8s. 33x12.50s on stock rims will rub the inner well on the back and rub the LCAs bad. Dont get 12.50s, get the 10.50s. Then you don't even have to buy wheels.

Do it right buy wheels.

I run 33x12.50s on my RE 4.5" on 15x8 RCs with 4.25 backspacing and it works great no rub anywhere. I ma going to 35x12.50s soon.

ZachMan said:
Do it right buy wheels.

I run 33x12.50s on my RE 4.5" on 15x8 RCs with 4.25 backspacing and it works great no rub anywhere. I ma going to 35x12.50s soon.

let me know how that goes for ya. I'm on RE 3.5" right now with 31x10, on 15x8 rim with 4" backspacing, trimming, and absolutely zero rubbing. I'm thinking about going to 4.56 gears and 33s this summer. I think i might rub again, but i'm not sure. I could throw a spacer and/or a longer bumpstop to help, and a shackle in the rear.

NCCherokee said:
let me know how that goes for ya. I'm on RE 3.5" right now with 31x10, on 15x8 rim with 4" backspacing, trimming, and absolutely zero rubbing. I'm thinking about going to 4.56 gears and 33s this summer. I think i might rub again, but i'm not sure. I could throw a spacer and/or a longer bumpstop to help, and a shackle in the rear.

It goes fine, I know many people running 35s on the RE 4.5" and 33s on the RE 3.5". Just add bumpstop and make sure your fenders are trimmed. BTW 33s and 4.56s rocks :sunshine:

Back