• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info on OME shocks

cowboybarber

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to buy a set of OME shocks for my XJ. Can someone tell me how much difference there is between the firm and the soft. 90% of my driving is on road so I want it to be comfy, also I saw on one website there is a long version, how much longer is it? I am sitting at about 2" of lift and don't plan on going any higher. Also are these better than the bilstein 5100's. I have been trying to decide between the two. I have searched and most seem to like OME but I would listen to opinions on both.

I am a longtime OME user. The longtravels are too long for your use. I have a bad back (arthritis) and I had the non-comfort series for 4 years prior to growing my lift and buying the LT's.

I would think you would be happy with either shock.

Long Travel Front N35L
Open: 678mm 26.69"
Closed: 392mm 15.43"

STD Front N35
Open: 568mm 22.36"
Closed: 348mm 13.7"

Long Travel Rears N36L
Open: 622mm 24.49"
Closed: 366mm 14.41"

STD rears N36
Open: 562mm 22.13"
Closed: 342mm 13.46

Last edited:
How much firmer is the firm than the comfort? and what is the average price on these shocks? I can buy them local at tennessee off road for about 80.00 a piece but would be willing to wait if i can save some dough.

Never rode in the comfort model. I had the full OME lift of springs and shocks and went with the firm shocks. At that time it rode so much better than my worn out feeling 2-year old UpCountry factory suspension.

Either way neither set of shocks are so firm as to be jarring, that is for sure.

Red97XJ said:
call dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com

he is the man on OME and XJ's. He can help you with just what you need.... and as a bonus will save ya some $$$.

DUDE, seriosly go to the link and give dirk a buzz, he knows his stuff and will set you straight as far as what valving and travel would work best for your rig.

I say Bilsein 5100s, but only because I've never run OMEs. . . more than happy with the Bilsteins though.

Honestly, I think the quality of both is pretty much equal. Considering all things, it just boils down to which one you like better.

Back