• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans xmember bolt removal

tcfXJwfo

NAXJA Forum User
How should I go about removing the rear bolt on the xmember? It won't budge and I haven't found a place to hose it with pb blaster and if I heat it, won't that just weaken the unibody? Any help is appreciated.

tcfXJwfo said:
How should I go about removing the rear bolt on the xmember? It won't budge and I haven't found a place to hose it with pb blaster and if I heat it, won't that just weaken the unibody? Any help is appreciated.
Are you talking about the stud? If so you should be able to hit it with PBblaster through the inside of hte framrail (there are access holes of sorts in the vicinity that should allow you to direct the "Straw".
Also how are you trying to remove it? Double nutted? Nut welded? Stud remover?

I am refering to the bolt, I didn't try to break it off yet. If it does break I will weld a nut to the remainder of it and hope it works. I just didn't know if anybody had a special trick or if I was over-looking something. Thanks

Won't that weaken the unibody? I am doing a long arm setup that uses the crossmember as the rear mounting point and am not afraid of the skinny pedal so weakness is not an option. Thanks

PB blaster and vise grips.. work it back and forth as you are removing it.. that worked for me. Heat would be my next suggestion.

I couldn't get mine out with PBBlaster, on it for a week, nor would any shop heat it for me (even if I was paying...) I ended up just leaving it there, and threading a new hole, not as strong at all, but it'll hold up untill I figure something out....

Try using a CO2 fire extinguisher and "freeze" the bolt. Just shield the rest of the frame when you spray it, so only the bolt gets cold. I donno, I've used this at work a few times to get stubborn gear box bolts out and stubborn races and all. Who knows, it might work on a Jeep. Or get a pair of vice grips, adjust it until you pretty much have to use a c-clamp to get it to lock and use a really long pipe to get it to move. Be really carefull with the last method as if you break the bolt, you are in for a bunch more fun. I donno, never had any problems with that bolt.

Back