• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you get?

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
'91 Sport 2-dr 4.0L AW4 NP231 d30/8.25 225/75/R15

This thing is my daily driver (sees roughly 50-60 miles per day mon-fri), so I'm trying to keep it fairly mild. I'm not too sure if I want to lift it, however I've been looking at Rusty's and RE's 3 and 3.5 inch lifts. I've also looked at the BBs but my rear leaves are pretty much flat.I would like to keep my mileage close to stock(around 17 mpg combined), so that's what turns me away.

I was also looking at full skids, tow hooks, and all those other accessories. I'm just not too sure what I should look at first. The only things I really do are rocky trails with the occasional mud puddle, and I've only gotten held up about once which is why I don't think I need a lift right now. Anyways, just wanna know what everyone else thinks. Thanks

recovery first. You'll get stuck eventually, lifted or not.
My Mj is getting recovery first, armor second and lift last.
I've got front hooks, just finished a bumper with shackle tabs and I'm getting the armor on thurs, hopefully.

87manche said:
recovery first, armor second and lift last.
x2. when it is time, slap on some 235's or 30' All Terrains, do a search and determine whether you should ditch your rear sway bar, get disconnects for the front and go nuts.

regarding your rear leaves, stock are pretty much flat, measure to make sure, 17 1/2" front, 17" back measuring from center of wheel hub to lower fender liner. Mine are flat and are within spec so I'd check first.

IMO if you don't think you need a lift, you don't.

87manche said:
recovery first, armor second and lift last.

I 3rd that. After making sure you have front and rear tow points, you can get rock rails and skids to protect it while you dont have a lift.

Word to the wise, if you get JKS SuperNerfs or any rock rails that might get in the way of the rear leaf bolts, make sure that you can remove the rails later on when you want to add lift or get new rear leafs. Rock rails may get in the way of removing the rear leaf bolts.

Alright so I think I'll look into some front and rear tow hooks first, does anyone know of a place that would have some good quality ones? Didn't some cherokees come with them from the factory? I'd rather save up money and get some quality ones than cheapo stuff. Also, I was looking at Rusty's skids, are these any good?

Jeeps are evil:firedevil

Quick! Part it out and be done with it! :thumbup:

p.s. I'll uh, take the 231 :D

MoparManiac said:
Alright so I think I'll look into some front and rear tow hooks first, does anyone know of a place that would have some good quality ones? Didn't some cherokees come with them from the factory? I'd rather save up money and get some quality ones than cheapo stuff. Also, I was looking at Rusty's skids, are these any good?
Rusty's tow hook kit and the one offered by Custom 4x4 are essentially the same, and except for not having provision to set the whole thing forward 3" for the hidden winch option they are clones of the factory kit (which is no longer available). Either one is under $100 -- buy from whichever of them has them in stock.

I would not bother with dedicated tow hooks. Instead I'd kill two birds with one stone more or less, consider getting new front and rear bumpers with the tow points built in. This way you get the tow points and the increased ability to deal with both off road obstacles and the occasional inattentive ricer or soccer mom.

I noticed on Rustys site that he only lists a front tow hook kit (I'm ordering that this weekend along with engine/tranny skid). Can you also use them on the rear as well? Or do most people just get a hitch and then something that slides in there?

Rear hookup uses and L shaped bracket, look at it here, http://www.rjpsystems.com/rearhook.jpeg

I pulled mine and replaced it with a tomken rear bumper w/2" built in receiver. Now I just use and insert into the receiver for towing from the rear. Next is a ridgico front bumper....

Back