• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting a grease gun

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I figured now that i have a vehicle that needs so many joints to be greased, i might as well go and buy a grease gun........

I was just gonna pick up one with a flex hose at AZ but i noticed there are metric and SAE fittings and whatnot. Is there a certain style or type of gun that would be best??

And what about grease?? is typical grease in a tube, like the Valvoline brand, good for this??

Just be careful where you aim it.
grease.jpg

Most of the grease tubes at the local auto store are NGLI#2 which is usually the recommended grease for ball joints, etc.

But just make sure, look it up in the owners manual/service manual what type of grease you need, and make sure you purchase that type.

I'd recommend synthetic, for a tube of grease its not that much more. There are several different base compounds for grease and they are not compatible, so you don't want to use the wrong one or switch after using one type. I "THINK" any NGLI#2 grease (if thats what is recommended) have compatible base compounds so you shouldn't have to worry about that, but I don't know for sure.

Get a good heavy one then hit a real parts store and pickup a 24" flexable extension, this will allow you lay the gun on the ground and pump with one hand while you use the other to move to different zerks...the hoses I buy are red and very flexable...around $12 for the hose and $19 for the gun.
The hand held air powered ones are nice too but they seem to be problematic.

While you're about it, find one with a pistol grip, rather than the standard "lever" gun. It doesn't deliver as much per pump, but it frees up your other hand when you need it.

You'll also want the "long reach" adapter for getting the U-joints - be prepared to look for that one, and expect to pay about $10 for it. If you go to a better parts house (NAPA or mom-and-pop, don't bother with chains!) they should know what you'll need.

5-90

i appreciate all the info, what about the metric or SAE fittings?? i didn't know there were different sized zerks on automobiles

is there a slim right agle fitting to get the lower balljoints? I've been greaing everything on a monthly basis, but I can't get to the lower balljoint fitting, the u joing it in the way.

1134_lr.jpg
87manche said:
is there a slim right agle fitting to get the lower balljoints? I've been greaing everything on a monthly basis, but I can't get to the lower balljoint fitting, the u joing it in the way.
Mine fits it’s made by Lincoln.

Last edited:
SilverGTS said:
flex is nice since it gets everywhere, but i like hard shout better, you can use both hands, with the flex it gets tricky!
True that's why I have a quick coupling on the gun then I can switch in seconds.

Metric and SAE grease fittings (zerk fittings) fill with the same grease gun/coupler. Metric or SAE spec refers to the threaded end which is stuck in the u-joint, tie rod end or whatever. You also have the recessed or flush type on the u-joints in the CV (front drive shaft right in front of the transfer case). Those take a blunt needle type injector on the end of the grease gun hose. (Not the sharp needle, that's for putting grease though rubber seals.) So, a standard hose end for regular grease fittings (zerks) and a blunt needle type end should do it all.

Back