• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Kind of Slip Yoke Eliminator & CV should i use?

97rubicon3.5

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport Its got a three and a half inch lift with 31x10.50 tires. Its your average lifted XJ but after a year now of beating the hell out of it with the lift, Im still using a non cv driveshaft and theres been minor vibration the entire time with the lift. No breakage so far (Lucky me). I would like to change the drive shaft and the output shaft on my NP231 before i snap a universal or something worse inside the actual case. Thanks for the response everyone.

Soon will come the flaming.....

At only 3.5" lift I would suggest buying an angle finder and then making your own transfer case drop kit using 1/8 flat stock (4 pieces per side) and one 3/4 x 3/4 (1/8 wall) tubing. For a drive shaft, if you have an AW4, use a front drive shaft.

If you have some money to burn use a PORC SYE kit and a front drive shaft.

If you have a lot of money to burn then put on a Woody.

Nosigma

JB COnversions and a Woody, both can be bought as a kit from woody, or get the Super Short one from (if i remember correctly ) AA?

nosigma said:
Soon will come the flaming.....

At only 3.5" lift I would suggest buying an angle finder and then making your own transfer case drop kit using 1/8 flat stock (4 pieces per side) and one 3/4 x 3/4 (1/8 wall) tubing. For a drive shaft, if you have an AW4, use a front drive shaft.

If you have some money to burn use a PORC SYE kit and a front drive shaft.

If you have a lot of money to burn then put on a Woody.

Nosigma
whats a porc?

Just a question for you 97rubicon3.5...I am looking to put the 3.5 kit in my '00 XJ and am also trying to budget and see how necessary a SYE is. Do you have a transfer case drop now or shims now? If so did they help at all? I've read so many different things about this lift that i dont know what i need to do and what i dont. From all the things ive been told and read this is what i think i need: adjustable front tack bar, adjustable lower control arms, t-case drop, and wedges. Do you have all this? Is it all necessary? Is there anything else i need? Thanks for your help

I got a PORC (Performance Off-Road Center) SYE kit ($169.99), and I had a driveshaft built at a local shop. I was doing an axle swap at the time so I basically got the axle in, called them, told them the measurements, and they built me a driveshaft (CV style with slipshaft) for $240. The whole setup cost me $410. JPmagazine ran a good article on installing your own SYE kit on a NP231, check it out, its pretty easy. I have had no vibe issues since. Wait to do it until you go up in lift though (you know you want another 2").

20xj00 said:
Just a question for you 97rubicon3.5...I am looking to put the 3.5 kit in my '00 XJ and am also trying to budget and see how necessary a SYE is. Do you have a transfer case drop now or shims now? If so did they help at all? I've read so many different things about this lift that i dont know what i need to do and what i dont. From all the things ive been told and read this is what i think i need: adjustable front tack bar, adjustable lower control arms, t-case drop, and wedges. Do you have all this? Is it all necessary? Is there anything else i need? Thanks for your help

Well, the reason why your not finding a clear answer on if you can get away with a SYE or not is because it is jeep dependent. I dont really understand it, but even the same year with all the same components can act differently with lift and vibration. Usually around 3" or more you need 1, but some gys get by with just a tcase drop. Another thing you have to think about is the front. IF you have a 2000 you will have the low pinion dana 30 which could cause you some problems if you dont have upper adjustables to tune in the pinion angle.

If you budget is really tight, be careful, because jeeps have a way of costing more than you think. At the very least make sure you have enough coin to do your lift plus a SYE and adj upper control arms. Or do a 2" BB. And dont get the cheapest piece o crap shocks, ull end up hating them and just throwing away the 120 bucks you put towards them.

Back