• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box saga continues...

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Well I received my J20 box today. It is the NAPA one for the '80 or newer J series Pickups. The '80+ J10/J20boxes are listed as one #, though the older J series (~'77) did show a difference between J10 and J20 boxes.
I compared the new box to the XJ unit that I pulled out of my Jeep last night. It is the same dimensions on the out side, with the only difference being the fourth bolt attachment site.
I was told that I had to use the '80 or newer box so that the XJ PS lines would still work so that is the one I got.
Because the front cap was the same as the XJ's I acted on a hunch and had them look up the '88 YJ box. Yep, same @#$%@ part #. So now I have a YJ box and more Questions.

Are there any internal differences between the XJ and YJ boxes?
Will the older J20 boxes bolt in to the XJ?
Anyone running the older J20 only series box?
Is there really a problem with the PS hose connections on the older J20 box?
If so, what did you do about the PS hoses?

Thanks,

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

I had a '78 Cherokee. Don't recall if it used a Saginaw box or not. I'll see if I can scare up the FSM for it.

Last edited:
I had the same problem at my lcal parts store. When you order a saginaw box, the only difference is 3 bolts or 4.

The J-20 box will have 4 holes, and have a larger bore, by about 3/8". The larger end cap is proof of this. I sent an "alleged" J-box back 3 times before I gave up. Call Matt at West Texas Off-road, I believe he has a source for true J-boxes. This is the route I'm going.

CRASH

Back