• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flush Skidplate

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have seen a few pics of people with these whole sheets of metal bolted on the bottom of their framerails. How can they make these? It seems that the TC sits lower than the framerails are. Just wondering because I would like to have the entire bottom of my jeep smooth like my buggy is.

what your talking about is sometimes refered to as a "belly up" skid plate. they're pretty common on wranglers.

do some searching on google for belly up skid plates, or check out www.4wd.com
www.quadratec.com

and i also believe rubicon express and skyjacker offer a set. but they are all for wranglers. personally i have never seen one on a XJ, because you sometimes have to do a small body lift if you want it to clear without having to "modify" the tranny hump.

it should be doable on an XJ, but you may have to cut and reshape the tranny hump to make it work.

Yea. Thanks a bunch. I dont want to cut my floor any so I am thinking of clocking my TCASE and getting everything as smooth as possible. Then I'll sheet it all up and angle up the edges to make it slide as good as I can.

You may still have to cut the floor board to get clearance when clocking the t case. Before doing anything, crawl under the Jeep and see how much clearance you have under there. It's been awhile since I've run a stock t case, but I'd look & see just how far down it really does hang. You might be looking at that cheap stamped steel x member. That hangs down much further than needed. If I recall, you can build a X member and tranny mount that will give you much better clearance without raising the drive train.

Enclosing the bottom with a plate will trap heat which will make it's way into the cabin. Just something to think about

MistWolf said:
Enclosing the bottom with a plate will trap heat which will make it's way into the cabin. Just something to think about

Do you think the holes I'll have there for access will pull enough heat at speed? Also how should I attach the T case to this plate? Use the same hardware the x member has on it?

I didn't use a plate, I made a custom X member to hold up my NV4500 & 241 T case. I used an aftermarket urathane tranny mount. You can easily make your own.

Holes at speed should let enough air circulate- heck, a flat sheet at speed might be okay. What I'd be concerned with is heat buildup at crawling speeds. When it gets into the cabin on a hot day, you'll be cursing. Of course, you could mount a fan to blow all the hot air out the back.

Everything is a trade off- a flat plate for protection and easy sliding over rocks will trap heat and add weight. A custom X member is lighter, but doesn't have the same amount of protection

I've been noodling a design for a custom x-member that is sheathed with .25 T6 aluminum. Similar to the TJ skids that 33Engineering (offroadtoystore) sells.

Back