• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird engine idling

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
So we spent today installing a new rear axle, and in the process my battery died, and it was realllly cold all day. So finally after 12 hours of work on the jeep, we jump the battery, we start it up, and for the first time in the 6 years ive owned it, its revving high on idle, nothing done to the engine at all today and this happens. It seems to run fine driving around town, but when i get into park it revs up a tiny bit, i dont have a tach so i cant tell the RPMs, and when i kill the engine, it revs down and sputters off at the last second. ANy ideas?

We were hoping it was just because we jumped a battery thats been dead in the extreme cold and its only temporary.

any help would be greatly appreciated

The computer has to re-teach itself. Take it on a 20 minute drive at hi-way speeds. It should reset itself to prior conditions and run like it did prior to the dead battery!

high idle is supposed to be a leaking vacuum line problem...
maybe during giving the boost you pulled a line off a vacuum connector.

Back