• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator leak, 97 XJ Sprt, 5spd, mystery!! Ideas??

Jim D.

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 97 Cherokee Sport, 5 spd w/AC, Up country suspension. Problem: mystery, occasional antifreeze leak. Just jacked it up, removed wheels, front shield and splash protector for vision reasons, ran it until hot - no leak - shut it off. Within a minute, fluid was gushing. CanNOT tell from where??!! Not any of the hoses. Cap is OK; dry. Today at the Jeep dealer we pressure tested the system. NO LEAKS. During my home test, fluid seemed to be coming from near the bottom of the aux fan on the radiator cap side of the radiator (air cleaner side). It runs down over the power steering mechanism. Day before after a 10 minute drive from cold looked under the front and the entire front suspension, left front wheel, etc., was wet with antifreeze??!! It is NOT coming from the pressure cap area. Is there a seam in there somewhere that is temp sensitive?? Many days all is dry, but I'm adding fluid every couple of weeks. This is driving me nuts. Car has never been crashed/hit. It did do a Rubicon and has the rock damage underneath to prove it, but the only damage close to the radiator is a bracket torn/bent to the side tow hook (dropped on to a rock). If we pull the radiator to check it, I think I have to be prepared to replace it with a new one...parts here in Peru are 2X USA prices, at least. Simply get a new one? Advice? Ideas??

check where the end of the radiator is secured to the core. I had a sundance that would leak as it got hot, and the plastic tank was seperating from the rest of the radiator at the seam. What you've got sounds very similar to what I dealt with on that.

I bought an all-metal three-row radiator from www.radiators.com. When you go to the sight you will talk to "Dwight the Mechanic"...actually a computer. When you go through that process you will be asked to call "Murray in the Parts Department"...you won't get Murray, but you will get the order taker. Tell her that you figured out you were chatting with their computer and they will give you a discount. As I remember, I paid about $150 plus shipping for my '95 XJ SE radiator. But like I said, it was all metal and three rows of cooling tubes. It arrived in three days. It was a much sturdier / better made part that the one OEM part that came out of the truck that day. Took about two hours to install. I'm very happy with it.

Jim

This is a common problem on the newer XJs that have radiators with aluminum center core and plastic side tanks.... The problem is that the aluminum and plastic expand and contract at different rates. After a while the rubber gasket starts to leak. The only thing that holds each tank onto the center core are about 2 dozen aluminum tabs that are bent over the lip of the tank.
Mine started to leak about 4 years ago while in Moab, Utah during the NAXJA event. The outside temperature was in the high 30s and as the daytime temperature rose above 50*; the leak went away...
The other members have provided you with several good places to purchase a replacement radiator.....

Charles

Don't even try to use the Sealer Additive Junk, the prevous owner of my XJ did that and it didn't help. Now in addition to me having to replace the radiator, I have to flush all that cruddy, sediment, fine metal partical gunk in the cooling system.

Did they go to the aluminum core/plastic caps radiator in '95?

Reason I ask, I've seen some all metal radiators being clearanced on e-bay at ultra-low prices, but they are for '94 or earlier XJ's.

I'm guessing they'll fit a '95 or later XJ, the pics certainly look the same configuration. They just don't list it for later XJ's because its an all metal radaitor, instead of the composite radiator used in the later XJ's.

Anyone know if the pre-'95 radiators fit post-'95 XJ's?

Then all you have to worry about is if its just junk your getting off e-bay.

Last edited:
All the part numbers I've seen say 91 to 97. I've been looking to do the open system conversion on the MJ, since my radiator has a smalled leak in one of the tanks.

Great info All, especially your contribution, CharlesS. I'll take what you're saying to heart. I recently had the same metal/plastic problem on my old Volvo 240DL. After one repair job, I changed it out for an all metal aftermarket model. I'll change the XJ radiator and be done with it...and while I'm at it, do the hoses and accessories drive belt.

My www.radiator.com helper wasn't Dwight. It was "Chuck" and of course due to "mulitple applications" I was directed to the 800 # and George. Called a day later and John took my order for the all metal aftermarket rad. $139, or $169 for the "lifetime warranty." Rad is on its way via APO military mail...had to pay Fl sales tax; guess they have a distribution center in Florida. Antifreeze on my garage floor this morning from the mystery leak, so as far as I'm concerned, I can't get the new rad in soon enough!!

Back