• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticking front brakes...

JohnBuuu

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys....
94xj 4.0 aw4,
front passenger brake is sticking/grabbing when engaged,if she is sticking this would indicate a caliper malfunction, correct?
to clarify, after the brakes are engaed, when i release, they stick momentarily.
XJ is new to me, i believe it needs pads as well.

i need to order parts to fix this asap.
ideas, impressions, experiences welcome
thanks
~John

I have seen a few calipers act like they were sticking but actually they needed greased on the slide part.Alot of people forget to grease the slide part.Rust on the slide is a good indication they havent been greased in awhile.

I second greasing the caliper slides. Use high temp wheel bearing grease. Thin coat it after you wire brush the rust or crud. It also could be the piston seal is deformed and not letting the piston return. See if your pads are worn at an angle. That is typical indication of the slide(s) sticking.
HTH

awesome, thanks guys, ill tear em down and go from there.
~John

i second doing both sides at the same time. my driver side was locking up and getting real good and hot. smelled real good and burned. changed it, the other side then did it. changed it and problems solved. i went ahead and changed everything when i finally fixed the second one. rotors, seals, bearings, calipers, brakes, lines. i didnt want take a chance on any of those being burned up with the excessive heat from the lock ups. they were glowing one night i got home and jumped out real fast to look at them. pretty cool, then i realized i was going to have to pull all of that stuff. i talk (write) too much. shutting up now.

90red

If your problem is the caliper slides (metal sleeve inside the rubber tube), use only hi-temperature SILICONE GREASE to lube these sleeves.
IIRC it is made by Dow Corning # 111. It comes in a small green tube and it is a very thick clear paste.
Do not use regular grease inside the rubber slides: it will make your problem even worst.
Also check for any deep groves/ridges on the pad slides/supports (top & bottom). Use regular grease on these supports only.

Back