• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman Arm/Draglink TRE

XJHummerRescue

NAXJA Forum User
I am having trouble getting the Draglink TRE out of the pitman arm, and I really dont want to have to take the whole draglink off, is there any way to remove this TRE without doing so? My stupid Haynes manual says nothing about it, I have searched this forum and others, as well as the web, and come up empty. Am I missing something obvious?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Sure - get a Tie Rod Puller (it is like a Pitman Arm Puller, but smaller.) There is a "C" frame that should hold around back of the drag link, and a screw ram that will press the TRE out.

Beats Hell out of using a Pickle Fork - I will usually reach for the TRE puller first.

Helpful Hint - when you put the new TRE in, put a little Never-Seez on the taper shaft before it goes in. You can then wipe the excess off before you put a nut on, or just reduce the torque by half (to account for the lubricity of the Never-Seez) when you put the nut on. I usually do the latter.

5-90

Back