• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on theoretical lift setup

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, just thought I'd get some opinions on a small adjustable lift setup.

I'd like to have a stock ride height (maybe even slightly lower) for driving on the streets freeway etc. I'll have regular highway tires to get maximum MPG for normal driving here and there.

But when I want to go somewhere in need of a higher ride height and off road traction, I'll bolt on some 30x9.5s. To lift, I would use air bags to raise and inch or two. Either manually or onboard compressor which ever budget and convenience allows.

Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way? Will I have any problems with the drive line, shocks, steering angles?

Thanks

well with a BB you can get great mpg with 30 inch tires, so it seems like alot of work for only a litle return. I know that on my cherokee that currently has 2" with 30" inch tires on the highway i get 20mpg

ive seen it on a tj, the guy had like 8 or 10" of adjustment, i thought it was pretty dumb, but whatever

"things that do everything do none of those things well"

I've got a range rover at home with 31's and airbags. When you inflate the bags to get full hight, and then droop an axle, the side of the bags like to blow out..

Not to mention your talking about a shitload of cash to get a 2" lift. It's not in any way practical..

I know there was an Unlimited Rubicon in the ultimate adventure that had an air bag setup that looked pretty effective, but a little limited on down travel. For the way you are describing it doesn't seem cost effective. to fit 30/9.5 you can do it with the up-country suspension parts, which is like 1 inch lift, and doesn't really harm your mpg or road manners at all. Air bags are usually good when you are switching back and foward of heavy loads. If youre towing something pump up the bags, if youre just driving around the city and want a smooth ride, lower the air in the bags. In my opinion its not worth all the money and time invested just to go up and down 1-2 inches.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I was looking at the prices, and it didn't seen to me to be all that much work or money. Am I wrong? I see the air spring kits for about $65 each axle $130 total and of course other parts. I don't see more than $200 of parts, is that alot for what I'm thinking of?

Well, I guess the basic question I'm asking is, at what height lift do you start to run into problems with the stock suspension geometry, i.e. shocks, steering and driveline.

Thanks

Your not seeing all the cost there. To do the air springs on the rear, your going to have to get rid of the leaf springs and have to go 4 or 5 link, some mod's to the front, air distribution block, a computer to control it, a control panel inside to interface to the computer, onboard air tank.. the bag's wear out, seals blow, lines leak.. its a doable system but its not a practical system.

The actual bags themselves may be cheap, but it will cost alot more to do it. Vehicles that come OEM with air bags and get wheeled alot typically have them removed and replaced with coils. :) We have spent several thousand dollars over the last two years just maintaining our air bags .. thats not considering what it would have cost to install. It will eventually be replaced with coils, if the vehicle isnt traded in on something else.

cal said:
Your not seeing all the cost there. To do the air springs on the rear, your going to have to get rid of the leaf springs and have to go 4 or 5 link, some mod's to the front, air distribution block, a computer to control it, a control panel inside to interface to the computer, onboard air tank.. the bag's wear out, seals blow, lines leak.. its a doable system but its not a practical system.

The actual bags themselves may be cheap, but it will cost alot more to do it. Vehicles that come OEM with air bags and get wheeled alot typically have them removed and replaced with coils. :) We have spent several thousand dollars over the last two years just maintaining our air bags .. thats not considering what it would have cost to install. It will eventually be replaced with coils, if the vehicle isnt traded in on something else.

Well I was thinking of just using helper air bags that would just be in addition to the leaf springs / coil springs. Computer control = not a prob I'll handle/design that myself. Good point about the maintenance, I was wondering about that also, but didn't think it would matter as much since its more of a secondary system.

Anyhow, like I said, this was theoretical and everyone was helpful. Most likely it will stay stock height. Thank you for your honest responses.

not to mention - <br><br>

where would you mount it on the front end? remove the coil and front bumpstop tower? that area would need coneisderable re-enforcement before I would feel ok with using it...

There is a company that makes an adjustable coil spacer that gives about 3" of adjustment. Don't know the price. Airbags would work well in the rear. What about Gabriel highjackers for the rear?

Back