• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Rebuild MasterKit Question

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of rebuilding my 91 xj with AW4 and 242. I have everything apart and ready to put back together. I started taking the bearings and seals out and there isn't a bearing that looks like the front output bearing.

Online the description says "All bearings, all seals, and small parts kit"

So what's the deal?

Any ideas anyone?

This one looks the closest but has a ridge on it. The one on the right is the one I took off. It has the number 6207 on it. The one on the left is the one that came with my rebuild kit 242e maskit and it has 6207-N stamped on it.
From the front:
bearingsfront.jpg

And the top:
bearingstop.jpg

TIA For any help

Jeep on!

Last edited:
Well... I figured it out.

The bearing works just fine once you take the snap ring off. :dunce:

I checked with just4jeep.com where I bought the rebuild kit and they were very helpful.

Hey Jeep914x4: Was it hard to rebuild the transfer case? I've heard the AX15 is very difficult to do, and requires a lot of special tools.

How did the rebuild go for you? Did you need special tools? Any special machine-shop type stuff?

Let me know what you think.

montanaman said:
Hey Jeep914x4: Was it hard to rebuild the transfer case? I've heard the AX15 is very difficult to do, and requires a lot of special tools.

How did the rebuild go for you? Did you need special tools? Any special machine-shop type stuff?

Let me know what you think.

I hate it when people ask a question and never tell what their solution was. I always try and clear things up for people that are searching for info.:compwork:

You do need some :special" tools. A set of lock ring pliers from Sears is essential. As well as a 8MM and 10MM 12 point socket. One is for the case and one is to take the planetary gear assembly apart to inspect. No machine shop stuff. I also rented the ball joint press from Auto Zone and used the sleeves to assist uninstalling/installing the bearings. There are special tools to do this but you can get by with sockets, pipe, or the ball joint press sleeves like I did.

It has taken me a while, give yourself plenty of time. Get the FSM it has clear directions. It's really not too bad but I have run into stupid problems like not having the 12 point sockets. I would do it again, but this first time has been a little frustrating and taken me a while.

Right now, I think the planetary gear assembly that attaches to the mainshaft with a snap ring might be bad. There is some play in it and I am thinking that's why I could wiggle my rear output with the DS connected. Can't find anything on this anywhere. Anyone got an ideas? I might start a new thread about it.

Last edited:
have you rebuit it?? there shouldn't be any play that i can remember, I had some play in it after i rebuilt mine, make sure your snap rings are all on there is one tricky one let me know.

Back