• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4Wheel drive hardware....

MT Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Am looking to put 31's under my 89 2 door, would like an opinion on 4wheel drive hardware's 3" suspension lift...is it comparable to rubicon express/rusty's/etc.? This is a daily driver, and YES I ran a search! Plenty of info on rubicon express and rusty's, but nothing on 4wheel hardware....any help would be appreciated. Thanks, mtnxj in Montana

I dont know too many people running the XJ 3in kit, but I know alot of people running the TJ 3in kit. The TJ kit is VERY VERY VERY flexy. Every time I see someone running it, I'm very impressed! If i was in the market for an XJ kit around that size, I would defently run it!

So you definitely think that it's worth the few extra bucks? I like the idea of having a "mild" wheeler with very good flex.....thanks. Anyone else want to chime in? Someone somewhere has got to have some personal experience with these kits, good or bad.

looks solid...kinda pricey for what you get... my friend has the 4.5 complete where the only differene is new control arms, shackles, track bar, shims and i think brake lines for 1400...it was really easy to install and has been holding up for about 6 months now...he hasnt done telico or anything but has his fun. it seems their kit is around 800...for that much money you could pick and choose certain components and build it your self for about 200 dollars cheaper...looks like only springs and leafs + shocks...i dunno an all in one kit my just be easier... anyways good expereinces here.

wait they have a 3 inch lift kit and a 3 inch complete kit...only dif looks like full leaves instead of add ons...550 vs. 800...huh go figure...

i think 4wd is suff is just Rough Country with 4wd sticker on it.

ok, i didn't know that, what about the shocks, CA's and the disco's, and brackets? is all that 4wd also?
RalphXJ said:
Wrong, 4wd has their own springs made by a company close to Pittsburgh.

I dont work for 4wd, but I know alot of ppl that do.

Thanks guys....I've really been torn between Rustys and Rubicon Express, but my interest was peaked by 4wheel hardwares kit.....was kind of surprised nothing could be found on this site concerning that kit, but that just tells me that that kit is probably overpriced.

I like my RE Superflex 3.5" with full packs:D

I measured today and I got 5" front and almost 6" rear. I haven't wheeled it yet since I don't have my recovery points installed yet:(

Before and after pics
Mudder2.jpg

after1.jpg

mtnxj said:
Thanks guys....I've really been torn between Rustys and Rubicon Express, but my interest was peaked by 4wheel hardwares kit.....was kind of surprised nothing could be found on this site concerning that kit, but that just tells me that that kit is probably overpriced.
I have their 3", got it in early april 2004, it was back when the kit was like $300 and had AALs, the AALs were worthless within 8 months, and they are nearly reversed now. The shocks were pretty crappy to. I'll be going to 6" this summer and finally have new leafs. But in their defense they have alot of different stuff and prices now so I couldn't tell you about that.

I'd go with 4WD before I'd go with Rusty's. Rusty's stuff just seems to have too many problems and I've been less than satisfied with what I've bought from them.

It's just not worth saving a few bucks for iffy products.

Kuasimodem said:
I like my RE Superflex 3.5" with full packs:D

I measured today and I got 5" front and almost 6" rear. I haven't wheeled it yet since I don't have my recovery points installed yet:(

Before and after pics
Mudder2.jpg

after1.jpg

The more I read, the more inclined I am to go with Rubicon Express 3.5"....nice looking rig. Thanks for all the advise and opinions....

Back