• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SWR Meter

bsr26

NAXJA Member #1229
How do I calibrate my CB with the meter? I think that I have read that you can calibrate it once and remove the meter from the chain, but if I only put my CB in when I want to use it wouldn't I need to calibrate it everytime that I put it back in the truck?

Thanks on clarifying my confusion,
Brandon

Go to www.firestik.com and read the TECH and FAQ sections for your info including swr procedures. If you have a permanent mount you only need to check swr 1 - 2 times per year, even if you take off and put back the antenna itself. If you have a magnet mount and you put it in the same general place each time, check 1 - 2 times per year. Any time you make a drastic change in the location, any antenna parts, or change coax cable it is a good idea to check the swr.

bsr26 said:
How do I calibrate my CB with the meter? I think that I have read that you can calibrate it once and remove the meter from the chain, but if I only put my CB in when I want to use it wouldn't I need to calibrate it everytime that I put it back in the truck?

Thanks on clarifying my confusion,
Brandon

Calibration of SWR will not change if you take the CB in and out, just make sure that the antenna connector is soldered correctly and not loose.
The snap on/ screw on connectors, though handy to assemble, will most of the time lead to worst than optimal connection at the back of the radio.
Also, most of the CB's do have a SWR meter built in; that eventhough are not really accurate, will give you a ballpark figure, so you can check with that every once in a while. Familiarize with your unit, or let me know what type of unit it is and I can fin out more info for you, in case you do not have a manual.
Best way is to have a permanent mount that you can ground effectively, and only take the antenna stick out if needed.
Angel

I have a magnet mount and I am going to put it in the same place whenever I use it. So I should be good on calibrating it and then being able to remove it when I don't want it on the car?
Thanks,
Brandon

Back