• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'94 Grand-->89 XJ: what fits?

Found a pretty good Grand Cherokee in my local junkyard. Was wondering if the following could be used on my XJ:

Steering Box
Tilt Steering wheel column
Center Console

Anything else groovy I should snag?

My steering box and tilt steering is fubar. Previous owner "lost" a few parts (like dimmer switch) when he poorly reassembled. In fact, there must be some loose screws in there, judgin by the slop in the wheel.

I think the power steering pump can also be used.

....however, I'm too lazy to search

time for my afternoon nap :speepin:

if it's a v8 ZJ then grab the tie rod it's a solid piece and should be bolt on.

87manche said:
if it's a v8 ZJ then grab the tie rod it's a solid piece and should be bolt on.

Nope, its an inline 6.

So, main concern was box and column which, on appearance, appears to fit. I don't hear anyone saying it won't, so on Wednesday, its of to the junkyard.

Any requests ;-).

OK, new question:
What about the front axle and brakes? Not sure if the 94 Grand was still a D30 (forgot to check), but I'm thinking that since this was a pretty clean rig, I might be able to use that axle as-is, rather than rebuilding mine (which needs a brake job any way).

Only problem is it has ABS brakes. Can I simply get rid of the ABS crap and use the 94 braking system and front axle?

I have a D44 from an 89 Cherokee for the rear.

FYI '89 XJs in the U.S. did not come stock with 44 rears. It probably was taken out of an '87 and put into the '89.

But if it works....what the heck does that mattter. Right? :thumbup:

RTicUL8 said:
FYI '89 XJs in the U.S. did not come stock with 44 rears. It probably was taken out of an '87 and put into the '89.
But if it works....what the heck does that mattter. Right? :thumbup:

Yeah, numbers never were my fortwe, so what about the ABS crap? Can you use the Grand Cherokee calipers with the ABS stuff ripped off? What about the Master Cylinder and Booster?

I'm putting the power booster and master from a '93 ZJ into my '87 MJ. The column looked different, but it may work. Box is a definite upgrade (should've kept the one I had) Front axle is a D30, but low pinion. It may have CV axles instead of Ujoints on the shafts. (mine did. I saved the whole knuckle to make the brake swap easier)

Back