• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittently shuts off when idling.

OKinNC

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ 4.0 automatic with about 150k on it and it runs fine, idles smooth but intermittently shuts off during idle. I drop it into neutral and it will start right back up and doesn’t cut out or act a fool in any way. This started about a month ago and happens about 3 to 4 times a week. Any ideas?

Went to start it yesterday and it would turn over but not start. Checked and I had no spark, so I did some searching on here and read about the CPS going bad. I unplugged the CPS and plugged it back in and BAM! Started right up. I guess I'll be buying a CPS. Would this cause it to intermittently shut off?

this also happens to my girlfriends 00' xj (80k)about once a day when sitting at a light or in traffic. It seems quite a few people have these symtoms. Is there any parts known to malfunction and cause the jeep to just stall every now and then while idling. It runs normal untill it stalls and it starts right back up. Any info would be great. Thanks a lot.

edit: just stalling, it always starts

Last edited:
my wifes 98 was just doing that kinda stumped me took it to the dealer and they replaced a bad crank sensor been fine since !

Well I replaced my CPS. It went smooth because I had a special tool to get to those hard to reach bolts, my 9 year old son's skinny arm. He loved getting all oily and dirty. My XJ seems to start better now.

Back