• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 won't start after installing new clutch

dhreeves

NAXJA Forum User
So I installed a new slave cylinder and clutch in my '87. I went to start it after bleeding the clutch and it wont start. It turns over but will never fire. I had an '89 several years ago that wouldn't start one day and I did the trick of unplugging the CPS and cleaning it out and that worked. I've not tried that yet this time but I don't know. Could I have messed up the CPS when I remived it from the bell housing. I cleaned it up while it was off as well. Also, when we were hooking the Vacuum disconnect back to the T-case it was brittle and we broke it but that wouldn't cause it to not start would it?

TIA

Don

It should still start with the broken vacuum line. Plug it just to be sure.
I'm going to take a guess that something happened to the CPS.

long shot but its a shot. i had the same problem with my old 88 cherokee, did clutch no start. it turns out while i was crawling around the engine compartment i knocked off a wire that went to the heat sink for the injectors its on the inner fender wall i dont remember which side, it looks like a small white block with i believe two stab connectors, its worth a shot

BigBlueXj said:
long shot but its a shot. i had the same problem with my old 88 cherokee, did clutch no start. it turns out while i was crawling around the engine compartment i knocked off a wire that went to the heat sink for the injectors its on the inner fender wall i dont remember which side, it looks like a small white block with i believe two stab connectors, its worth a shot
that sounds like the fuel pump ballast resistor, drivers side?

BigBlueXj said:
That block is the ballast resistor for the fuel pump FYI

yea thats it my bad, caused mine to not start i knocked it off putting the bolts through the bell housing

Turns out we actually unplugged the TPS for some reason. Who knows why we did that but it's running now. Although I'm not sure if I messed something up in the clutch install because now there is a strange chattering/clattering sort of noise. I would assume it's the clutch but it is the worst in second and third gears and I wouldn't think a different gear would matter if it were the clutch.

Odd. My '87 started fine and ran "okay" with a dead and disconnected TPS, but that's niether here nor there if that did the trick for you.

The noise hard to tell without actually hearing it, maybe the gearbox needs oil.

Thats what I thought too because when we filled it it only took a little less than 2 quarts which didn't seem like enough to me and the Haynes says it should take 7.2 pints which is more like 3.5 quarts. So I went out and removed the fill plug and it immediatly started dripping so it is full to the bottom of the fill hole. I'm confused.

Back