• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to lock up my xj.

xjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I am a newbie and need help. I have a 89 xj and want to lock it up. It is a daily driver. I am running 33's with 4.56 gears and manual transmission. I have Dana 30 up front and 35 in rear. I am thinking of Detroit soft locker in rear and EZ locker up front. Any suggestions would be great.

how tough of trails are you running? i would be very carefull with that d35 in the rear and a locker on 33's. if your running trails hard enough that you need a locker front and rear then you probably going to be busting those d35 shafts. imho i would try to find a junkyard 8.25, throw in some 29 spline shafts, or find an ford 8.8.....otherwise lock the front, get some 297/760 u joints and be done with it. selectable lockers such as ARB are obviously recommended but it all depends on budget.....

don't lock a D35. maaaaybe if you were doing the Super35 kit or leaving it on stock size tires. people will tell you they've done it, but they're sitting on a time bomb. I've seen too many broken D35 shafts on the trail and vehicles abandoned as a result. Even if you carry spare shafts, you better hope that's what breaks.

BrettM said:
don't lock a D35. maaaaybe if you were doing the Super35 kit or leaving it on stock size tires. people will tell you they've done it, but they're sitting on a time bomb. I've seen too many broken D35 shafts on the trail and vehicles abandoned as a result. Even if you carry spare shafts, you better hope that's what breaks.

Maybe it is a time bomb, but mine hasn't gone off yet, even with my wife driving. Yes, I am planning on changing the rear end, so I can run 36's but right now, it's gonna get wheeled with a locked 35. I also make sure I have a back up plan for getting home. I never leave a rig out there.

Back