• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im not a painter!

mgfabpd

NAXJA Forum User
Im starting to get some surface rust just above my windshield, my rockers and on my A piller. I suck at painting, and have seen a few rigs in magizines that had there bodies Rhino lined, it looked pretty cool w/ a slight wrinkle finish, and its gotta be pretty tough stuff, so I was thinking, I should put bedliner on my XJ. Then I remembered I'm a cheap bastard, so now I'm thinking of spray bombing it w/ that duplicolor spray on bedliner that they sell in the parts stores. I wouldn't have to worry about a perfect sanding job, I could touch up whenever I wanted to, and its a wrinkle finish, so the touch-ups would probably blend right in. Has anyone tried this stuff out? Is it as durable as they say?

I have used it on the diff cover and frame of my truck and haven't had any problems. I spent a good amount of time preping the surface for good adhesion. It really depend on how good of a prep job you do and what you scrape your rig up agains. Branches and brush won't be an issue.

Thanks for the input, I guess thats what I'm doing then, up here in NY, braches & brush is about all that touches my truck, no real rocks or anything.

Re: Im not a painter
But I am ;)
I think that duplicolor spray on bedliner is neat stuff for bumpers and ......
But it's not at all near as tuff as the real deal.
It fades and chips fairly easy, but easy to touch-up.
You might try to clean up all the rust spots, touch up with dupicolor
matching spray bomb paint.
Then..... maybe shoot the hole rig with Clear Chip Guard.
Chip Guard is the chit they use on the bottom of cars for protection.
A good coat of Chip Guard will out last the other chit 10 to 1 !
Good luck
Geno

Sounds good, but spraying the whole thing w/ the chip gaurd has me worried, I can do a good job of prepping & spraying, it's just that the only place I have to spray it is my fab shop, which ALWAYS has dust floating in the air, and it is a gaurantee that it will end up under the clear. Any idea's to keep dust away while spraying? Maybe build a big A$$ tent out of tarps?

I hear ya man, my shop is for metal fab work also.
My real job is Paint Repair FoMoCo Chicago Assy.
Just hang some cheapass plastic if you decide to do it.
Keep in mind the Chip Guard has a bit of texture to it,
a little dust anit gonna make a big difference...trail rig!
Spray some water to help hold down the dust.
A good filter for your airline and your head is a plus.

I have used the duplicolor on my bumpers and sliders and it works good. I would suggest rolling it on though as it is better that way and lasts longer. Though it is good stuff I still think the Rhino is better.

-b

Definitely keep us posted. I was wanting to do this, this spring. Hope it comes out well so Ill have the walls to do it too!

I paitned cars for the last 10 or so years. You loose tack after the fumes get to ya. If you havn't spraybombed your ride yet, check into a product called "wrinkle paint". It will hide alot of your blimishes and be a fraction of the weight of any spray-on liner or chipgaurd. It's quite tough and for what it's worth also heat resistent. Any professional paint store will carry it.

Back