• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 8 lug hub with 15" wheel

glfredrick

NAXJA Forum User
I'm starting a 44 swap and I'm wondering if anyone has a picture of a stock J20 8 lug hub, brake caliper setup, and what it looks like from the back with a mounted rim. (I still have to pick up the J20 to part it out so I can't just go and look.)

I'm certain that I will have to do some modifications to fit 15" wheels with 4" backspacing, so I'm trying to get a handle on how much.

I'm running 15's for several reasons -- The tires are lighter than 16/16.5's -- they have softer sidewalls -- and I have a brand new set from another project, plus the rims, axles, etc.

Is there a difference with Chevy calipers, Dodge calipers, Ford calipers, and the Jeep calipers that I need to be aware of? Which have the smallest overall diameter? I've heard the Chevys but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

j10's and 20's use chevy axles, 6 bolt spindles, rotors are the same size for 6 and 8 lug, so if your axle has the big brakes, the small backing plates, calipers and rotors can be used

The Dodge brake system is completly different from the Chevy and Ford stuff and you have to use Dodge knuckles. For the 8 bolt pattern you can run 15" on it but depending on the rim BS you'll have to do some grinding on the caliper.

The Chevy single piston calipers are probably your best bet as they should bolt onto your Jeep brake system.

78 ford HP 44 still rubbed with 16.5''rims minor grinding to the calipers sovled it dont know about size of j20 calipers
edit: it was hitting the weights on the inside of some M.T. cromes. depends on weights

Last edited:
as i said, the j20 calipers could be either the chevy big or small brakes, you need 16.5's or 17's to clear the big brakes, the small brakes fit in my 15" mickey tomsons with about 1/16" of room

Thanks...

So the half-ton brake calipers will work with the 8 lug hubs -- right?

If so, then I'm home free. I don't need tons of braking power as this is a trail only machine and it has a 60 out back with big x huge drums...

Back