• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rookie questions

my2wdsucks

NAXJA Forum User
im gonna make this to the point i have a 1990XJ 2wd w/ 2.5L and 5speed: where are the oil pressure and coolant temp SWITCHES? in 5th gear @ 55 i'm @3000 rpm normal or not? what tranny do i have anyway? will the front end off a 97-01 fit my jeep? is it possible to figure out my gear ratio without taking anything apart (dana 35)?

The transmission should be an AX-15 - it's easy enough to check, and I think they changed in mid-1989. To confirm, crawl under and look at the transmission case; if it has a longwise split, it's the damn Peugeot, and you'll want to upgrade. If not, it's the AX-15, and that's an acceptable box (I'm on my third Peugeot in my 88, since I bought the thing!)

The oil pressure sensor (for light or gage - the difference is internal) is on the passenger side of the engine block, down by the distributor. The coolant temperature sensor is on the driver's side rear of the cylinder head. These are the two you'll want to replace if you're changing instrument clusters - the wiring for the gages is already in place.

The nose question can be answered with a search - but I can't think of the terms offhand. I'm sure it's been covered here in the last several weeks.

I'd have to crunch some numbers to see if that's a normal "cruise" for you - and make sure you have 3.07 gears (you should) and know what size tyres you have. I typically cruise at 70 in fourth gear, running about 2900 with 3.07's and 30's (I quit using fifth gear - 2500-3000 is ideal cruise for the 4.0, and I actually gained in fuel mileage when I started doing that. I don't use fifth until I get up to around 80-85...)

Welcome aboard!

5-90

5-90 said:
The transmission should be an AX-15 - it's easy enough to check,
He's got the 2.5L motor, which probably had the AX-5 behind it. I think the AX-15 was only put onto the 4.0 motors.

There are some pics posted in the following thread, which should help you to positively ID your tranny: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76699

Good luck with your XJ ... but be careful; this can be addicting!!

Duh - I missed that. Good news - you will NOT have the Peugeot, since it was used only behind the 4.0 anyhow.

Transmissions behind the 2.46L AMC I4 included the AX-4 (four-speed manual,) the AX-5 (five-speed manual,) and, I believe, the Chrysler TorquFlite 727/904 (three-speed automatic.) I don't recall that the AW4 four-speed auto ever made it behind the 2.46L, but I could be wrong on that.

The problem with assembling so much tech info is that it all gets crossed. I end up using the tech references I write just to keep this stuff straight, and I still miss things!

5-90

Back