• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manumatic AW4?

dutsmiller

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching the pa/nj/de area about two months now for the perfect XJ to start from (in this case a 96-99 with 100-120k miles for roughly KBB Private Party) and this was the first pic from any ad that I couldn't figure out what it was. I've seen the rotary switches before, but never anything as slick as this. Any idea?

whatisthis.jpg

I don't know where that actual button pad came from, but I can make a setup like that with any 4 momentary buttons, also a switch for torque convertor lockup and a switch to go from full manual to full auto.

also just started messing with this:

p10100694ph.jpg

BrettM said:
I don't know where that actual button pad came from, but I can make a setup like that with any 4 momentary buttons, also a switch for torque convertor lockup and a switch to go from full manual to full auto.

also just started messing with this:

p10100694ph.jpg

Ooooo

Ahhhhh

Cool beans Brett!

I believe the original intent was for arcades. It holds in each corner, though I wonder if it would pop out going over rough terrain. If that becomes a problem I have a few fairly simple ideas to make it harder to pull out of each corner. I am going to make the electronics so that if you leave the stick anywhere in the middle the tranny will go back to auto mode.

BrettM said:
I believe the original intent was for arcades. It holds in each corner, though I wonder if it would pop out going over rough terrain. If that becomes a problem I have a few fairly simple ideas to make it harder to pull out of each corner. I am going to make the electronics so that if you leave the stick anywhere in the middle the tranny will go back to auto mode.

That's shifter looks awesome. I still have to mount your turn knob shifter, but I might want to go with this in the future. I'd just have to get a custom mount in my XJ which I don't want to do right now. I love all the options with your shift kit. Have you looked into shift paddles on the steering wheel-for up and down shifts? Maybe even a digital gear indicator, then just up and down paddles/buttons. Also your toggle torque converter lock and unlock.

You've done a good job with unlocking the potential of the AW4 auto tranny, nice to have the best of both worlds with the shift kits you offer.

BrettM said:
I believe the original intent was for arcades.

San Fransisco Rush 2049.

Big Red said:
That's shifter looks awesome. I still have to mount your turn knob shifter, but I might want to go with this in the future. I'd just have to get a custom mount in my XJ which I don't want to do right now. I love all the options with your shift kit. Have you looked into shift paddles on the steering wheel-for up and down shifts? Maybe even a digital gear indicator, then just up and down paddles/buttons. Also your toggle torque converter lock and unlock.

You've done a good job with unlocking the potential of the AW4 auto tranny, nice to have the best of both worlds with the shift kits you offer.

are you talking about a shifter knob like the one that brett had just + and - for upshifting and downshifting like in the game initial D. so it springs back when you shift. anyone know what im talking about?
that would be pretty cool, i think.

the switch in the op is meant for lights. you can get them from autozone. i though about using one for my light bar but decided against it because of the size of the "brain box" that the switch controls.

Shomsky462 said:
are you talking about a shifter knob like the one that brett had just + and - for upshifting and downshifting like in the game initial D. so it springs back when you shift. anyone know what im talking about?
that would be pretty cool, i think.
that's planned as well, though probably a few months away as I'm focusing on 2 other setups now.

dutsmiller said:
I've been searching the pa/nj/de area about two months now for the perfect XJ to start from (in this case a 96-99 with 100-120k miles for roughly KBB Private Party) and this was the first pic from any ad that I couldn't figure out what it was. I've seen the rotary switches before, but never anything as slick as this. Any idea?

whatisthis.jpg

You can buy that at autobarn.com

Link: http://www.autobarn.net/plsw16.html

BrettM said:

That would be sweet. I have to make a cupholder/ARB switch holder/ air regulator holder that would fit between my bench seat and my transfer case lever so this could go right into that holder.

How much you looking at for a price with all the wiring stuff?

Back