• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb aw4 ?

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
i am new to the xj world , as i use to have a tj so bare with me , is the aw4 supposed to upshift even if you have in in first gear , mine just shifts as i had it in drive , maybe at a little higher rpm. but on the trails i find this annoying as i cant seem to keep my xj in a nice rpm or it bogs down . is this rite or no . i just assumed it shifted by itself from 2 to 3 . thks

From what I remember, you can put it into first-second. When in first-second, it starts off in first, then once it hits a certain rpm, shifts into second. And doesn't hit first again unless you put it in park.

Kits like helix linked to can change that, or theres a DIY mod that allows you to hold it in first, like a very very basic version of what was linked.

you don't even need a aw-shifting kit to do that... just need to go to go-jeep
(google search it, i cant remember the exact address.) and his write up will tell you all you need... just find a good spot for your switches!

No one has mentioned another obvious thing to look at. The NSS switch tells the TCU (trans computer) when the shifter is in the 1-2 position. The TCU will not let the engine overspeed though, and will upshift to protect things.

hey thks for the links and info , and i have 4.88s with 35s , on the highway its alrite , just in the trails i just seem to have a hard time keeping it in the sweet spot. maybe i just need to drive it more.

Back