• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ keeps dieing

87WagXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I was watching the Battery gauge tonight, and when I stop its like my battery isn't charged and just dropps and my vehical dies. So I don't know if the altenator isn't charging it or what? Could someone help me out because its a pain in town. Thanks

So I checked my battery tonight and its reading right, which means the alt is putting out power to it. So I don't know what is causing it to die. If anyone has any Ideas let me know thanks.

I bet its your crankshaft sensor. Friends 87 xj had a problem where he would come to a stop and it would die on him but had a lot of trouble getting it to start back up.

Forget checking it. If you go through the pain in the arse procedure to remove the CPS, just replace it. They are $30 new from Advance Discount Parts, or slightly more from NAPA.

You will need a ratchet, a long extension about 18", a wobble/universal or two, and an 11mm socket. Go underneath the XJ from the drivers side, look up beside the transmission bellhousing near where the shifter cables come through the floor and you will see two bolts holding in a black sensor. The sensor points down into the trans bellhousing.

Those two shoulder bots are what holds the sensor in place. DO NOT drop these into the bellhousing!! Once the bolts are removed and the sensor is free, go back into the engine bay. On the left side of the valve cover between the throttle body and the cover, there is the plug for this sensor. Unplug it and remove it. Install the new sensor being careful to tie wrap the wires well away from the hot exhaust downpipe and manifold.

Here is a link to a writeup I did on another forum on what to do to make this an easier process the NEXT time you have to change it!

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=20947

Last edited:
Also, I wanted tosay that you may still have charging problems. The alternator needs to be checked for charging voltage. You may need to check and clean all your grounds (engine to frame/battery to engine) and do the charging cable upgrade (replacing the alternator charge wire with larger diameter cable)

Back