• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to buy the arms

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I searched :D
I didnt find definitive answers to what Im gonna ask here.
Im buying my Long arm setup this week because Im too dumb to make my own.
Whats the best long arm over the counter setup for a rig that will see a lot of Asphalt?
Rockkrawler isnt as adjustable as I need
Rustys is.. well Rustys (but that doesnt mean "no", sometimes he has good stuff)
Clayton seems like a good setup..
But I dont know.
Any other Options?
RE but i dont want to wait 6 months and be the first guy to buy it and have them say say "oh yea, we forgot something"
Ill be going for around 10" upfront, on a Tera 50, and I dont want to have the guy build my axle until I know if I will need to cut or add anything
any opinions respected and appreciated
\\hoot

1. Why are you building a Tera 50?

2. Why would you limit yourself to OEM XJ/TJ/ZJ bracketry if you are having a new axle built? Build a better mousetrap.

CRASH

def. claytons... best price.

Im not building the axle, someone is for me. He is gonna do it to my specs CRASH.
thats why I want to know what setup Im going to have before I order the Suspension

I recently installed the Clayton LA on mine and love it. Yeah, yeah, I know, less clearance. The suspension works awesome and I wheeled it at Tellico a few weeks back and hit them a couple of times with no hang ups. They are so beefy that I believe they are beefier than my Rocker protection (XJ Armor) which themselves are overkill also. I had a friend weld up the crossmember and it was a very easy install. The main reason I went with this kit over Rustys is that Claytons has the drop out center section which I have already used and makes access to the t-case and tranny a breeze.

I have talked to several guys running Rustys that are equally happy with thier set up as well.

Happy shopping,
Crunch

No, I mean why are you dropping the coin on a Tera 50, when for a bit more you could have a Tera 60? The weak link on a Tera 50 is the same as on a Warn + CTM 44, the inner axle splines. The 50 has 30 splines, same as the 44.

I would run an OEM 70's style Ford radius arm setup. I would have the guy send you the axle bare, and with the money you save, buy yourself a 220 welder and place the brackets yourself.

I have never seen brackets come from an aftermarket builder that had custom brackets welded perfectly, unless they matched the OEM setup exactly. So if you want the OEM bracket setup, by all means, go for it. That setup will fit the Rusty's, Clayton's, Tomken and Rockrawler setup pefectly, but understand that is not ideal for extreme rockcrawling.

Hell, I use the OEM bracket setup, and it works fine with RE style arms, but I would rather have an OEM Ford style radius arm style setup.

CRASH

60 housing is almost the same, but the whole axle build is almost $1000 more.
60 is overkill I think, You wont see my wood wagon on UROC this year.
I want something decent on the trail but strong. Road worthiness is key.
Rockkrawler has some weld on tab for the uppers.
As far as welding, I trust my phone skills much more than my welding skills

Do your homework on that Tera 50 before you lay down any green. A guy I'm farmiliar with here in Nashville bought one about a year ago and has been kicking himself ever since. They may have changed thier deisgn by now but when he bought his Tera used stock Dana 60 shafts, necked them down to the right diameter and re-splined them. This left the splined are very soft (no heat treatment) and he is constantly twisting shafts. His only recourse when this happens is to have more stock 60 shafts custom machined and re-splined. He has tried two different heat treatment processes post-re-splining but nothing has worked. If it were me I would go with a 44 with alloy shafts or a Dana 60. Oh, and another vote for Claytons.

Crash, I'm curious as to why you would prefer a stiff, Ford radius arm design over the stock geometry. Is it due to the "sway bar effect" of the binding inherent in the Ford design that Farmer Matt mentioned in a thread last week?

The setup Im going with will use 44 alloy shafts, and all parts I want. It isnt a product from teraflex.
Its just their center section and the rest is made to order.

Back