• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb noob in trouble!! Help! Xfer case cable?!?

beaver cheese

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 chero, was goofing off in the mud/ woods today, I started hearing a real loud grinding noise from my xfer case (I think?) theres a cable with like a spring inside it that look kinked coming from the xfer case? I straightened it out, seems like the grinding ( maybe between 2wd/4wd?) stopped. What is this cable? Is this the prollem? Help! My brother's gonna kill me!

Last edited:
langer1 said:
It's the speedometer cable.

NO.there is no "speedometer cable" on late model XJs.Just 2 or 3 wires from the speed sensor.The transfer case is shifted by rods and levers No cable there.Most likley it is an E-brake cable that has been pulled out.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
NO.there is no "speedometer cable" on late model XJs.Just 2 or 3 wires from the speed sensor.The transfer case is shifted by rods and levers No cable there.Most likley it is an E-brake cable that has been pulled out.
Wayne
I think Digital Speedo was Optional, so some had speed sensor wire's and some had a cable.

langer1 said:
I think Digital Speedo was Optional, so some had speed sensor wire's and some had a cable.
Nope digital. From somewhere in the mid maby even early 90's (i'm not shure of exactly when) to the end.

JEEPZZ said:
Digital speedo from 91 on.
I'll make a note of that, so I guess it was the brake cable.
Hop the OP comes back and lets us know what it was after he recovers from the ass kicking his brother gave him.

Last edited:
Back