• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE upper arms and AX-15 syncros

wascobi

NAXJA Forum User
RE uppers, did you notice any difference after the install? overall a positive mod?

AX-15, mine needs new syncros. how difficult is it to disassemle one and have new rings pressed on? does this just open a can of worms? or should I just look for a 3550? and would one bolt up to the 231 in my '90?

thanks!

The RE uppers on my front end got rid of some squeaking and made me feel better about having real arms there rather than some crappy stamped steel...

syncros on an ax15 arent that bad to do, ive done a 3500, that was pretty easy, and thats a similar tranny, just more complex

I did my AX15 a few years ago. The "bearings and brass" kit was $180 and had all but one of the bearings which almost never needs replaced (one of the needle bearings under the gears I think), seals and synchros. You'll need to know the tranny serial number to order the kit, btw as the 5th gear synchros is different between the years. At least I think it was the 5th gear synchro.

Anyway, I followed the FSM as far as pulling the tower and getting the case seperated. From there it was reasonably obvious how to proceed. I managed to do the rebuild without a bearing press using a gear puller. Halfway through I was bitching that a bearing press would have made life much easier and I modified my gear puller to have arms about 18" long. Took me about 8 hours from the time I started with it on the bench to having it put back together and ready to reinstall.

The tranny made it 30k miles until the pilot bearing tore up the input shaft and munched the input bearing. The previous owner had just put in a clutch thinking that was the problem for the grinding gears, so I didn't touch the clutch or pilot bearing. I think either the PO didnt replace the pilot, or the grease seal on it got damaged during the tranny reinstall and it dried up. In retrospect, I shoulda pulled the clutch and replaced the pilot bearing instead of just shooting some more grease in there.

Back